Old doubles rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kirkryan

Reaction score
Ok guys, maybe you can help me out here. I was given an old set of tanks from a colleague of mine in the Keys. I have never had my own tanks and I was wondering how I know what kind they are (Al or steel) and if they are worth keeping or not. I guess this is where a trustworthy LDS comes into play, hugh.

Post a photo or two. Include the lettering and numbering along the crown of the tanks. That should help. Until you get a looksee inside, won't know if they are really worth keeping and using.

If you could just put the text from the tanks on here, it would probably help determine what kind of tanks they are, how old, etc.

kirkryan:
Ok guys, maybe you can help me out here. I was given an old set of tanks from a colleague of mine in the Keys. I have never had my own tanks and I was wondering how I know what kind they are (Al or steel) and if they are worth keeping or not. I guess this is where a trustworthy LDS comes into play, hugh.

On top of what Perrone said, I drain whatever gas is in them. Then post a photo of the tank neck with letters or simply the complete text. All that's needed should be there.

Walter:
I wouldn't drain them until I was ready to take them in for testing.

That may or may not be that great of advice. I really all depends on what you think of the condition of the tanks themselves and the age of the last vis/hydro. If its recent, (in hydro or close and a recent vis), you're probably OK. If its well out of vis/hydro, I'd still drain them. I'd wouldn't want to chance possible interal corrosion weaking them.

Again though, its a judgement call on your part

"I guess this is where a trustworthy LDS comes into play, hugh."

Actually no, a picture here would give you a better estimate of value and serviceability. If they were to be "vintage" doubles and in good condition they could be highly valued by certain people and could be sold via ebay. Most dive shops have virtually no clue as to the value of older or "vintage" or traditional gear. N

use a magnet to find out of they are steel or aluminum. obviously a magnet will stick to steel but not to aluminum.

Do they (or have they ever) made flat bottom Steel tanks, or round bottom AL tanks?

Ken
Diver since 1999

No flat bottom steel, but there were some AL round bottoms. The markings will tell what they are.

kirkryan:

Post all of the stamped markings you can read and take a couple of pictures for us. You'd be amazed at how much people on this board can tell you about stuff.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom