New old equipment!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, I got a Sherwood reg set today. One second stage says "Magnum" the other doesn't say anything other than Sherwood. First has no name either. Has alot of ports though, but none of them are marked HP (it's all connected, but I know alot of firsts have HP stamped on the high pressure ports. )

So, I want to dive with this stuff, or rebuild and sell. How can I tell what it all is, where can I get info to show me how to tear it apart and where can I get rebuild kits and how do I know if I need to replace anything? Breathes fine at surface, but hasn't been used in atleast 2 years.

Well, I got the second stages opened. They look alright, wouldn't mind replacing the stuff but it seems nice and pliable enough. Very simple to open, I was glad for that. :)

If I can see photos of the reg I could tell you yr and what model Magnum it is. As for assembly and maintenance guides and rebuid parts they are only available to authorized Sherwood dealers .

Alright. I found a manual that looks like it is for the Magnum second and whatever the first is, they look quite similar. The second stages look to be in good shape, I might dive with them as they are. I'd like to atleast inspect the inside of the first, and possibly rebuild it. If I can't buy the kit from you all, I'll see if I can find some other way to get it. I want to learn to work on this by myself, I don't need this reg as I have another one, so I can rebuild it myself without undue hurry. I'll see about taking pictures of it all and posting it sometime, it might not happen until next week though.

Thanks!

Yea you may be able to overhaul it yourself and you may be able to find some black market kits on ebay, but you more than likely dont have the tools to test it, or possibly even overhaul it right to begin with.

I have access to tons of tools, if I really didn't have something, I have access to a milling machine and a lathe. :) I know, I always do things the unconventional way, but tons of people service their own regs. If they can do it, I'm sure I can do it. I have experience working on paintbal regs, not very simliar but I can work with things with lots of small parts. I've already opened upt he second stages and cleanred them out, one of them had some sand in itself. I don't have the guage to measure the IP pressure but I could make one or pay my LDS a few bucks to tell me what she reads. I just don't see the point in paying $100 for parts and labor when I paid $30 for the regs.

Sherwood parts are pretty minimal and not that expensive. I worked on paintball equipment for years before I got into the dive industry and nobodys life is riding on a painball reg not being tuned right. I like doing things the hard way too. I wouldn't trust my regs to anybody else.

take it to pool and give it a check out dive,it either works or it doesnt,those are about the most bulletproof regs out there.

take that us divers second stage and put it on your sherwood 1st stage for a primary,i bet you will be happy with that setup,they breathe pretty sweet for old technolgy and you can drop your weight belt on them and still go diving,try that with a new plastic second stage.

So, if it breathes alright, I don't really need to worry about servicing it? There is a dive I'm going on this december with possibly another family member, deepest is 60 feet, might let him borrow this set if it seems to work fine for me. I might dive withit at Ginnie Springs this coming weekend (not this one, the next).

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHERWOOD-MAGNUM-REGULATOR-Scuba-Dive-1st-2nd-Stage_W0QQitemZ110042707261QQihZ001QQcategoryZ16056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's that. With an octo and guages. The octo just says "sherwood."
It also looks like
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sherwood-Magnum-Scuba-diver-Regulator-With-Guages_W0QQitemZ300038787208QQihZ020QQcategoryZ16056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but the guages are different looking.
The main second has a little roller ball on the demand lever in the second, the octo does not have that. They look similar, just the octo doesn't say anything but sherwood on the purge button.

If I put the US Divers second on this first, then I'd have to put one of these seconds on my primary rig as an octo.

[edit] I looked more closely, and one port does have HP etched above it :) What is the bleeder valve? Looking at the manual for 3200-3300 regs (which seems similar to this) that seems to be the name for it. Most regs I know work by letting water into the first stageto sense ambient pressure or something like that (not sure why the first needs to know it, I thought the second was the only one that needed that info), and both of the other first stages I have lying around have holes or things to let water in. This does not. Does that have anything to do with it? (the bleeder valve)

I also just noticed that the hose on the octo is longer than the other hose. Unless the Magnum is the octo.

Sherwood regulators has been Dry Air Bleed system. Balanced and unbalanced piston regulators simply need to be able to adjust for ambiet pressure .The pressure inside of the spring chamber needs to be the same as the outside pressure suorronding the 1st stage . Most regulators will let water ito the spring chamber to make it equal the ambiet pressure. The Sherwood design is quite a bit diffrent but serves the same purpose. the regulator in the picture is the 3200 series , there has been a piston upgrade to that regulator in 10/88.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom