VT3 band removal???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdown247

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have any idea on how to remove the VT3 wristband w/o damaging the band or computer?

I received my retractor and compass mount today and have not a clue on how to get the band off. The manual does not provide ANY instructions on this and the instructions with the retractor/compass mount show the VT3 w/o the band already.

What's with that Doug?

There are little pins that are spring loaded that hold the band on and also will be what holds the retractor on as well. Use a flat screwdriver that is really thin or something similar and move the little ring on the pin in. It will push in. When it goes in, pull that side out, and then push the pin in on the otherside and you can take off your band.

Found the pins. What a PITA to get to them so you can release the band! Mounting the transit clip/retractor takes some thought as well. Here's a couple of tips for the install for future reference:

1. remove band by unlocking at least 1 side of each band pin, then angle them and remove

2. When installing the transit clip/retractor be sure you note which side of the computer has the "cut-outs" for the band pins. Put 1 pin in the transit clip and set it in the "cut-outs", but do not lock them into place.

3. Install the pin for the other side and compress the pin one side at a time slowly sliding it down into place. Be sure you lock at least 1 side of this pin in place.

4. Compress the pin on the side w/ the "cut-outs" and fully lock the pin into place. You WILL need to press on the back of the clip to make sure the pins and seating holes line up, wiggle it around a bit as needed until it locks. (make sure if you tug on the clip to test the lock of the pins that you do it in a place you can find the pin as it will shoot out!)

5. Fully lock the final portion of the pin opposite the "cut-outs", then install the compass bracket and compass if you will be using them (these are simple install and need needlenose pliers to fully lock the pins as indicated in the directions).

Doug, Oceanic obviously spent some $$ on the glossy instructions for these parts. Could you suggest that they do away with the glossy install instructions for these parts and provide a better installation picture instead? The B&W pics are so small that you can't really use them for reference (these are currently the approximate size of a dime).

The Oceanic retractor isn't the greatest either. I love Oceanic products and their customer service is great but that retractor is lacking. Almost every retractor is manufactured by the same company. There are only a few exceptions and Oceanic is one.

apneacomplex:
The Oceanic retractor isn't the greatest either. I love Oceanic products and their customer service is great but that retractor is lacking. Almost every retractor is manufactured by the same company. There are only a few exceptions and Oceanic is one.

What do you see as lacking? What would you like to see? Which "good" retractor in your view should we look at?

I'll bet if you post that some folks from Oceanic will see it and look into the suggestions.:wink:

You guys should take a look at the hammerhead retractors. Theres reasons that almost every other company uses them. The oceanic ones don't flush the salt and sand out very well, and after a few weeks aren't able to retract the computer very well either.

apneacomplex:
You guys should take a look at the hammerhead retractors. Theres reasons that almost every other company uses them. The oceanic ones don't flush the salt and sand out very well, and after a few weeks aren't able to retract the computer very well either.

Which one of our retractors are you talking about? I have our current ones and a ten year old one that I've never had trouble with.

apneacomplex:
I had two of them that I had trouble with. I dug out the box and its 04.1241

Thanks, that makes it easier, I'll look into it.

Like I said Oceanic is great with warranties and were willing to replace it. It just gets old having to pay a couple bucks shipping all the time and not being able to use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom