o ring silicone grease brand specific?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishballer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i lost my tube of silicone grease that came with the canon wp-dc40 underwater housing.

do i need to get another tube from canon? or if i use regular o ring grease, will the whole setup implode underwater?

Silicone o-ring grease is silicone o-ring grease... in terms of cameras. (Regulators? A different topic.)

If you buy it at a SCUBA store it comes in a nifty little container with a keychain. Well worth the price. Have a couple.

If you want it in bulk and cheap, get food grade o-ring grease used for milkshake machines. By the weight, it's lots cheaper, but nowhere near as convenient to carry or use. I have used this on IMAX camera housings.

Are the o-rings buna (flat black) or silicone (glossy colors including black)? Buna uses standard silicone lubricant used in other SCUBA o-rings. Silicone takes a different lubricant. Using the wrong lubricant can cause the o-ring to swell and fail.

thanks for the replies, guys. i appreciate it.

the o ring is yellow, so i'm assuming it's silicone. maybe i should just use bacon fat or something.

Get the Silicone Grease from Aquaseal. It's pretty cheap, and if you can find the hockey puck sized container it should last a long long time.

From the McMaster Carr website ---

Dow Corning #55 O-Ring Lubricants
These silicone lubricants reduce friction between rubber and metal parts. They resist oxidation and form a tight seal causing the O-ring to swell. Not recommended for O-rings and seals made of silicone rubber, polycarbonate, or ABS thermoplastic. Temperature range is -85° to +350° F.

Silicone Lubricant— Use with virtually any rubber polymer including Buna-N, neoprene, and Viton. Temperature range is -65° to +400° F.

Barium Based Petroleum Grease: Use with sythetic rubber seals in low-pressure pneumatic systems. Temperature range is -20° to 180°F.

Actually water works just fine on housing backs where there isn't much of a sliding action, just compression. The lubricant contributes nothing to the seal, it just lubricates and can also catch sand and fibers which isn't good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom