Sea Urchin Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brand0n

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just wondering if anybody is into sea urchin diving on the east coast, looking at getting into it for the winter just donno where to look.

thanks

Do you mean commercially or for your own personal use?

BrandOn,
Two questions. What do you do with sea urchins? And, you're in Corner Brook, right - you can't find sea urchins in your area?
I honestly didn't know people dived for urchins. I know that the last time I dived Tapper's Cove (Torbay), you couldn't get away from the things, there were clumps of them everywhere. I was just certified and buoyancy was (and, as a newbie, to a degree still is) an issue. I crushed one with my leg, and nearly pounded many others.

The sea urchins are sold for there spawn i guess, theres some pretty good money in it iv herd. right now im not in corner brook,, im in newbrunswick workin for a commercial dive company. ya i have seen alot of urchins diving around newfoundland also. do alot of divin around clarenville?

ill be back for christmas if you wanna meet up for a dive.

DivetheRock:
What do you do with sea urchins?

Cut them open, scoop out the black stuff and then eat the orange stuff. Make sure to wash with fresh water first or it'll taste like ****. It definitely tastes better than it looks.

Wow...I think I'll pass on that, jiveturkey. :) Even without trying it, I'd have to say that sea urchins are for strictly for seagulls. I'm not a big fan of seafood (it seems I've lost a taste for it over the years), and the sound of scooping out the black stuff then eating the orange stuff isn't appealing in the least.
BrandOn, check your PM.

Brand0n:
Just wondering if anybody is into sea urchin diving on the east coast, looking at getting into it for the winter just donno where to look.

thanks
Call few fishplants in NFLD and ask them if they are going to buy sea urchins this winter.If yes, then ask them for contact name of the boat captain or diver who sell them sea urchins.
Cheers

When I started diving for sea urchins back in 1990 the price was as little as 30 cents a pound.Later on the prices were higher more than $1 a pound.It depends what is the percentage of roe in the sea urchin since seaurchin is worth nothing without it.

Back
Top Bottom