Nikon D80 or Canon 400

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba dave

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the right place to post so please redirrect if neccessary.

I am looking to get either the D80 or Canon 400 and would like to hear the ups and downs of both or which would be better for underwater photagraphy as well as above water. I know it is probably a toss up but maybe there are some significant differences or advantages of one over the other. I am currently using a Amphibico Surveyor 2 with a Sony DSC 717, 80 degree wet lens and a Sea & Sea YS 120 Duo. I am looking to get more coverage (wide angle) and more choices as far as exposure options. The Sony says you can do more than you really can, It always takes over to give the same exposure. Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Dave A.

If you can, goto a camera shop and pick up both cameras. Both cameras are very comparable featurewise, but they feel much different. IMO, the Canon Rebels(Xti included) feel cheap and toylike and the grip is too small to hold comfortably if you have medium sized hands. Granted, underwater, the housing will negate this - I'm just assuming some surface use on occasion :wink:

The Canon does come with a dust buster, which probably works quite well compared to the Sony Alphas. I preffer out of camera colors from Nikon moreso than Canon, but after processing - you won't know the difference.

Check out the comparisons at DPReview.com and make your own conclusion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom