SHOOTUNDERWATER.COM- Bali 2006 Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis

Contributor
Reaction score
We are in Ubud Bali after a wonderful 12 days in Tulamben, encompassing the 2006 Bali Photo Workshop presented by Photo Pros Mike Veitch from Yap, also a member of SB and Tim Rock from Guam, another well known photographer from Guam who writes and takes pictures for all the Lonely Planet diving guides.

We stayed at Scuba Seraya, a small and luxurious sea side resort just 2 kilometers from Tulamben. The resort staff and facilities are first class, with outstanding muck diving right out in front of the resort's beautiful black beach, the Secrets dive site. Catering to small groups of divers gives you the opportunity for truly personalized service and Scuba Seraya did not disappoint. They had 3 boats at our disposal for the entire week long course and we dove a lot of amazing sites including the famous Liberty wreck. Thanks to Michael Cortenbach for all the amazing footage of the Molas and for organizing your resort so well for so many photographers.

Each day of the course we did 2 wide angle dives in the morning followed by lunch and lecture time, then an afternoon macro dive with critiquing afterward and an optional night dive. The diving? Some of the best I've had with a huge range of sites and creatures to shoot. All of us had a LARGE portfolio of great shots by the end of the week.

Mike and Tim were great teachers and took the time to go through everything from the basics of f-stop and shutter speed to strobe placement and on into Photoshop techniques, basic and advanced. We were also given a copy of iView Pro, a great program for cataloguing and organizing your photos as well as making HTML pages and slide shows for the web. The improvement in all of us was seen in the slide show of all our best photos on the last night when all participants received prizes from the sponsors including a $500 gift certificate from Aquatica which Kim, an American living in Thailand was lucky enough to win.

We all had a terrific time, meeting other diving novices from around the world and leaving with a lot more underwater shooting skill than we came with. Bali is a wonderful and SAFE place to come and we will certainly be back, maybe at the course here next year.

We are off in another day to shoot the Mola Mola or Sunfish that appears around Lembongan the same time every year. I'll post a few pictures now but there will be many more to follow when we get home from Asia in December. Thanks Mike and Tim, as well as the staff of Scuba Seraya Resort for such a fun and informative week.

_MG_41521.jpg

_MG_28431.jpg

_MG_16501copy.jpg

Oh my. That sounds heavenly. I might just have to join it next year. It sounds like just the kind of help I need. Especially strobe placement. Nice photos too.

IMG_8049copy.jpg

IMG_7949copy.jpg

Our villa had a big bathroom just outside the bedroom which as in most Balinese bathrooms is partially open to the outside but covered. We had a courtyard with a covered outdoor bar and refrigerator and a small plunge pool. There was also an outdoor day bed which you can see in one of the pictures that was covered and had screens and we would have a nap after lunch when the photo course was not on.

IMG_7935copy.jpg

IMG_7947copy.jpg

IMG_7967copy.jpg

IMG_7930copy.jpg

Hi Dennis,

Great shots :) Good luck in Tulamben finding the Mola Mola...I did five dives and didn't see any :( Of course, two dives after I had finished they found one. That's always the way, but at least it gives me an excuse to go back!!

I'll post some of my pics in another thread.

Mel.b

WOW are those great pictures. Thank you for posting them!

very cool! The blessings everywhere are so great. people very happy.

loved that villa.

Hope Marcia posts.

Your shots can't get any better! Cannot wait to see more.

Thanks ippy, glad you liked them.

Catherine, you missed the new item they installed for the workshop...:D

IMG_8201.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom