What kind of diving accident?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mislav

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Luc Besson spent the first years of his life following his parents, scuba diving instructors, around the world. His early life was entirely aquatic. He already showed amazing creativity as a youth, writing early drafts of Grand bleu, Le (1988) and The Fifth Element (1997), as an adolescent bored in school. He planned on becoming a marine biologist specializing in dolphins until a diving accident at age 17 which rendered him unable to dive any longer.

So, my question is: can anyone tell me what kind of diving accident would render someone unable to dive? It doesn't have to be a Luc Besson's accident, but if you know what happened, please share. I'm interested in general - what kind of accident might happen that prevents someone from diving any longer?

OK, so what happens if you had a bad DCS hit? How does it prevent you from diving again? I'm not familiar with the long term consequences of it.

You could experience an air embolism, which is basically when you get a gas bubble in your blood stream. These bubbles could travel to your heart, lungs and brain. If they did, it would cause things such as a heart attack, collapsed lung or death which would certainly keep you from diving.

lishen:
You could experience an air embolism, which is basically when you get a gas bubble in your blood stream. These bubbles could travel to your heart, lungs and brain. If they did, it would cause things such as a heart attack, collapsed lung or death which would certainly keep you from diving.
Yes, but the guy is alive and well but due to some diving accident he shouldn't be diving again. That's how I read his bio.

From this I wonder - what might cause this? What condition does he have that he can live his normal life but can not dive anymore?

I hope I'm wording this right.

mislav:
OK, so what happens if you had a bad DCS hit? How does it prevent you from diving again? I'm not familiar with the long term consequences of it.

A hit can be as stated above also bubble can form in your CNS. When this happens and it is a bad hit you have to relearn how to do every thing. All of the pathways that you brain used have to be remade. IF you live threw this hit and you are able to rehabilitate, that is the only time you body will do it. So if you dive again and you suffer another hit, that’s all she wrote.

I know a guy that busted an ear-drum in pool session, doctor vetoed ever diving again because of it.

I think neurological damage from a bubble hitting the blood supply by blocking the circulation to a crucial organ like the spinal cord and nerves or the brain can cause permanent damage that resembles someone who has had a stroke.

Coordination problems or mentation deficiencies...all those things could ruin your diving and mess you up for awhile or permanently.

Tekdive girl is working her way back towards normal from the sounds of the reports. It can be a long, tough journey.

I agree with the ear injury. If for any reason you were unable to equalize, that would keep you out of the water I imagine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom