Bamboo Reef Fundive report - Oct 22nd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesD

Contributor
Reaction score
Dive 1: Medtridium Fields
- After an amusing site briefing due to the fog layer (site briefing along the lines of "there is a bouy out there above the metridium fields, honest, no really there is, you just can't see it) and a very long surface swim out to the bouy (it was there, we did find it, but I did wonder at times, and a zodiac packed with divers offered to give us a tow which was nice but we'd just got close to the bouy) we got the Metridium fields.

This being my third dive in cold water, I have to say I was much warmer than I remembered from my last dive, really didn't find the water cold, dropped down to about 60 feet to discover, the wonders of the medtridium fields. Nothing particularly "special" encountered on the dive (above and beyond the title) except did encounter one stingray, which given that the vis was 10' (maybe 15' at the outside) I was impressed that we saw it as it sailed by on the edge of our view.

Notes: Video does work at that depth without lights (and white balancing on the sand seems to work quite well) however it's very grainy video due to the lack of light, next time bring light rig.

Dive 2: Breakwater
- Second dive was to be breakwater, managed slightly better than my last breakwater dive (when my mask snapped). Did see some of breakwater, vis was about 10' (maybe a bit less) unfortunately lost my buddy fairly quickly (that's two for two breakwater) realised I need to go over missing buddy procedures better with buddies I'm not used to, as so far other than me no-else seems to do the "wait for a minute looking around for your buddy, then surface" routine, not sure if that's an official procedure or just Padi.

Think maybe I might use breakwater as a reason to look into solo diving courses, because trying to keep with a buddy when the visibility is less than 10' feet is really quite hard. Might also look into getting something that can attach between buddies to keep them together, however I can see that running into entanglement issues.

Notes: Video worked better with light rig (I think) didn't need to white balance, and video appears less grainy, however since it wasn't at as great a depth, I'm not sure if the single HID light (UK Light Cannon) will be enough light to record by, or if more will be needed.

Overall a nice day of diving, and once the fog layer had disappeared it was a beautiful warm day.

Many thanks to the staff of Bamboo Reef for giving up their time to dive with us, and for all those who came out for a nice days diving.

JamesD:
Think maybe I might use breakwater as a reason to look into solo diving courses, because trying to keep with a buddy when the visibility is less than 10' feet is really quite hard. Might also look into getting something that can attach between buddies to keep them together, however I can see that running into entanglement issues.

I dive Monterey pretty much every weekend. I rarely hear about buddy separations, particularly at the breakwater (outside of the open water class divers). 10 ft vis, while sucky hasn't been that uncommon over the past few months. Yet it seems plenty are able to keep buddy teams together.

Perhaps you and your buddy need to work out how to stay together better?

Edit: After thinking about this some, perhaps it is the diving buddies you are not too familiar with that contributes to the lost buddy situation. Regardless, my thing here would be for you to work out how to stay together for the dive rather than how to find each other after the dive.

An alternative to going solo is to find buddies who focus on team diving. Ben_CA likes to dive with folks who are new to the area. You know, show 'em around type of thing. He's also big on team diving. Drop him a PM if you are interested.

Adobo,

I think you are right, it's mostly two things, first is me, I'm not used to low-vis and a photographer/videographer, which means I'm bad about keeping track on my buddy all the time.

I also seem to be ending up paired with buddies who don't check that I'm not taking a photo as often as other buddies I've dove with... which is again quite a bit my problem but...

Since it's only my 4th dive in Cold water, I'll continue to work on the getting used to cold water and the comparatively low vis out here in Northern California (compared to what I got used to) and go from there.

James,
You are more than welcome to come and dive with me when our schedules sync up... Like Adobo said it doesn't really happen that often... and it can be hard but not impossible to do in 5-10 ft vis.

I would suggest to leave behind the video/camera until you are comfortable with the local waters. And just because you are taking video/shooting photos doesn't mean that you can forget about your buddy...yes they check on you but you also have to check on them... if anything else your situational awareness should be heightened

Adobo. I live in Monterey and dive the Metridium Field almost weekly. There is an easier dive out to them. If you enter at San Carlos Beach (breakwater) here is how is goes. Enter the water East of the breakwater dive. By the other bathrooms up top. Swim out about 200 feet or even 100 feet. Align yourself with the bathroom building up top. Dopt down. When you hit bottom head West or slightly North west. You will hit a huge pipe. This pipe will head North. Follow it out. When it ends in the water just keep swimming about 20' on good viz day you will already see the Metridiums. There is rock after rock. To swim in either head Slightly South East to hit breakwater or back to the pipe to follow in. If you are ever heading down let me know. It is one of my favorite dives. I also hang out with a lot of people from Light N Motion and Backscatter and know how to keep a dive buddy that is shooting.

Just let me know how it goes or if you need a buddy.

Luvnthelife:
Adobo. I live in Monterey and dive the Metridium Field almost weekly. There is an easier dive out to them. If you enter at San Carlos Beach (breakwater) here is how is goes. Enter the water East of the breakwater dive. By the other bathrooms up top. Swim out about 200 feet or even 100 feet. Align yourself with the bathroom building up top. Dopt down. When you hit bottom head West or slightly North west. You will hit a huge pipe. This pipe will head North. Follow it out. When it ends in the water just keep swimming about 20' on good viz day you will already see the Metridiums. There is rock after rock. To swim in either head Slightly South East to hit breakwater or back to the pipe to follow in. If you are ever heading down let me know. It is one of my favorite dives. I also hang out with a lot of people from Light N Motion and Backscatter and know how to keep a dive buddy that is shooting.

Just let me know how it goes or if you need a buddy.

Wow... thanks. Though I think you meant this message for JamesD.

Adobo:
Wow... thanks. Though I think you meant this message for JamesD.

Ted,
Are you sure? I don't think I've been out to the Met fields yet with you in the lead? :D

I remember bringing you out there last time (that was a long time ago huh?) and I dropped us right on top of the pipe...

Maybe this summer we'll finally push thru with that SB get together...

Ben_ca:
Ted,
Are you sure? I don't think I've been out to the Met fields yet with you in the lead? :D

I remember bringing you out there last time (that was a long time ago huh?) and I dropped us right on top of the pipe...

Maybe this summer we'll finally push thru with that SB get together...

I definitely could use the navigation tips and really, I could also use more entries in my dive buddy book (with you and Kevin doing more scooter diving now).

I definitely could use the navigation tips and really, I could also use more entries in my dive buddy book (with you and Kevin doing more scooter diving now).

ok who was the one calling you every weekend to go diving. Who was the one using that tired old "family commitments" excuse?:huh:

Even though you dont scoot, we could take you on a brisk morning drag.

Back
Top Bottom