Regulator Prob "in my head"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I know people do OOA drills, etc. So...why do I have this idea that my regulator seems to be delivering air differently since my little trauma (OOA at 60 ft)?

It flows fine, then when I move my neck a certain way, it feels like someting is causing resistance and this is transient. Very subtle and it could be psychological.

My question---please assure me that the physics of what happened would not have unseated my diaphragm or anything weird like that. I mean they are built for pressure changes and this should not have effected it, right?

I know...take it in. But it was serviced about 5 months ago...and I am leaning towards thinking I am a little mental on the perception. Has anybody ever imagined problems with their reg? It is like a form of hypochondria...but I have never been like that. I compare it to my alternate...still because it is transient, I just cannot tell.

oops, sorry, should have posted in reg forum.

I tried purging hard, etc. No sea water leaking in like when the diaphragm on an older reg ruptured on me...VERY subtle change in resistance, intermentently.

Catherine,

I have ready many posts by you on this board. From that you seem VERY knowledgable and experienced. You also show an enormous amount of common sense. I have way too much respect for you to try and tell you anything, so I can only make some suggestions.

1) Could it be that your reg has always breathed slightly differently in some positions, and you're just noticing now? I can't imagine any significant difference, but an OOA might make you a bit more sensitive to even tiny differences.

2) Could it be that your throat breathes a bit differently in some positions?

3) If you think it might be the reg, why not get it serviced? This would hopefully remove any doubt in your mind. So what if it's a bit early?

One of my buddies had a similar situation, after an incident (not OOA) in our local River. He started complaining that his Regs were not delivering enough Air, and also his Air Consumption shot up. On a few Dives I would let him use my Regs and I would Use his. I didn’t notice any difference with his Regs, but he said mine breathed alot better. He has since bought the same brand as mine and his Gas Consumption is back to pre incedent levels and he says his new regs breath much better.

Maybe on suliminal level he blamed his equiptment, and hence by changing that equiptment he remove a mental barrier.

This is only what I observed in my buddies case. I know you are a much more experienced diver than either myself or my buddy, but I hope this might help.

thanks.

I guess I really think it is in my head. I was wondering if other people who have had little scarey things happen get...well, a little paranoid.

I am not the same diver all of a sudden, I am afraid of things. It was not even that bad, what happened...I just feel very nervous all of a sudden. I think I am imagining equipment failure.

I have even wondered if being on SB a lot and reading about accidents is making me more nervous. I will get it checked....

Catalina canuck...exactly. I seem a little obsessed with trying everybody's reg...and nobody else is picking up anything.

I think it will fade in time...I had a car pull in front of me once and it resulted in a pretty nasty wreck. For months afterwards, everytime I saw a car that looked like it was going to pull out, I would slam on my brakes and get all upset. It was just mental. I think you will be fine.

Hmmmn I wonder if it's possible that you actually stretched the diaphram a tad by trying to get the last bit of air out of it??? I certainly wouldn't know but I think I'll sit back and see what all the reg medics out there say!

SCUBAJENNIFER:
I think it will fade in time...I had a car pull in front of me once and it resulted in a pretty nasty wreck. For months afterwards, everytime I saw a car that looked like it was going to pull out, I would slam on my brakes and get all upset. It was just mental. I think you will be fine.
So thats your excuse then.

thanks Jen.

yes, I can't remember the title. Basically what we figured out was a series of people turning my tank on and off left me with it off after I had checked both regs, but they were charged, so purged normally. I did not watch the gauge...so I learned. Then, I got pretty far along in the dive and the depth finally exceeded the ambient 1st stage pressure and the "door closed" in a very definate fashion. No eeking out a bit more from the tank. Very easy OOA ascent...just shook me up. Not because i almost drowned or anything dramatic...but that the mistake happened to ME. Like I have been in la la land. Now, when I descend the line, I get overwhelmed deeper than 60 feet or what I can ascend from.

Jb thinks maybe the funeral and all has made me nuts. he says they drive along nonchalant until somebody gets blown up and then they get hypervigilant for awhile.

I think Jen nailed it. But if I service the darn thing then maybe I can get past the mental hurdle. Crossing the channel...all kinds of stuff, I just feel a little paranoid sudenly.

Obviously, like in Jen's case...you don't get your car parts all serviced.

I wonder if a sudden shut down like what people do in OOA drills has any effect on the reg though. That is what has me wondering. I think I will call Mikey, the repair guy! I am brilliant, aren't I?

oh...and I welcome off topic rapport. :10: very..therapeutic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom