Looking for a good scooter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdshort

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After using a buddy's scooter on a couple of dives, I've decided I'd eventually like one of my own. I was using his wife's scooter, which is a Sea Doo Supercharged VS. I know this one is fairly cheap, but it actually worked just fine for some leisurely scootering. He has a yellow Dacor he got used for a few hundred bucks, and I think both could pull us along at about 3mph. I've just been parusing (sp?) eBay, and found this scooter for $500 : http://cgi.ebay.com/Torpedo-2000-Sc...yZ114236QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Anyone heard of this outfit. It looks like a nice scooter for $500 though I think I want to spend less, as this will mostly just be used for fun.

Brian

edit: I also just found an Oceanic Mako 1 on ebay. What's a fair price for one of these that is lightly used?

Brian;

I don't know the brand you found on Ebay. I have not heard anything good or bad. I have the Sea Doo GTI. The cost of it is $399 new. It will go 2.5mph with battery time of 2 hours. I have been pretty happy with the scooter so far.

TOM

X-treme is identical to the seadoo, you just pay more for the seadoo name.

I have a seadoo, and love it.

cheap, easy to fix (yeah I dropped a tank on it and snapped a trigger off), parts were CHEAP !!!!

easy to use, fun to air, and you USE LESS AIR !!!!!!!!!!

bdshort:
edit: I also just found an Oceanic Mako 1 on ebay. What's a fair price for one of these that is lightly used?

You can usually pick up a used Mako for around $1,000 give or take. If you are looking into someday movng into diving into tech diving then you want to get a tow behind like the Mako. However, depending on th depth you will be diving at, then the Mako may not be enough. In that case I'd look into a Gavin, SS or an X-Scooter; all of which are tow behind scooters. Personally, I went with the X-Scooter.

Good Luck, :)

Ok, thanks. I'm watching the Mako auction right now. I probably should get something cheap, since it IS just going to be used as a toy now and then, probably. I can see how serious I'd get about using scooters and if it would be worth spending $1000 on one.

Direct drive 24 volt GE type as used in Tekna, Mako and all high dollar scooters.

DSCF0160.jpg

Gear drive 12 V dust buster motor used in SeaDoo types, I can close my hand around it.

43_0.jpg

N

When you buy a Porsche, you get a Porsche motor, when you buy a honda civic, you get a Civic motor... both get you to where you are going, one will have a better engine sure, probably last longer and do more. but if it's just fun etc.... then why blow 1k+ on a TOY ? if you are using it for more serious applications, then get spendy.

JungleJoe:
When you buy a Porsche, you get a Porsche motor, when you buy a honda civic, you get a Civic motor... both get you to where you are going, one will have a better engine sure, probably last longer and do more. but if it's just fun etc.... then why blow 1k+ on a TOY ? if you are using it for more serious applications, then get spendy.

Granted, However, someone wanting a scooter places them in a category of someone who wishes they had something better...no? :confused: A scooter is hardly a necessary piece of gear unless there is a mission. Best I think to ante up vs. being dissatified in the beginning.

I had students use Cayman scooters and were then allowed to my Gavin out. They never wanted to use the Cayman again. They preferred swimming vs. taking out the less-capable scooter.

We have a Sea Doo and a Mako at the shop. The Mako is great and is the one I choose over the Sea Doo anyday. I think the Mako is smoother for riding, quieter, and definitely faster. One of our instructors just purchased a Sea Doo Explorer and found that one to be quieter and easier to use than the original Sea Doo.

Back
Top Bottom