Dive Rite RG2500 ICE-breathing wet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actosrep

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Quick question for you all. I recently purchased a RG2500 ICE reg with octo. I was diving out in Monterey, CA a few weeks ago. First dive was uneventful, however, on the second dive the surge picked up. As my exertion level increased, I was breathing much harder and noticed the distinct taste of salt water in my mouth. Has anyone had any feedback regarding the RG2500 breathing wet?

Thanks for your help.

Actosrep:
Quick question for you all. I recently purchased a RG2500 ICE reg with octo. I was diving out in Monterey, CA a few weeks ago. First dive was uneventful, however, on the second dive the surge picked up. As my exertion level increased, I was breathing much harder and noticed the distinct taste of salt water in my mouth. Has anyone had any feedback regarding the RG2500 breathing wet?

Thanks for your help.

The RG2500ICE has a reputation of being a rather dry regulator. Maybe you would relaxing your lips on the mouthpiece due to the heavy swimming. It is also possible that you have a micro-vacuum leak. If you local store has the capability, have them put your regulator on a dual manometer to see if you have such a leak. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

Good advice Phil - Thanks.

The suspect areas of any leak in the 2nd stage would be both diaphragms. Before you take it in you could pull a vacuum test yourself by just making sure the first stage has its cap on tight (or better yet put your finger over the opening) and suck on the 2nd stage and see if there's a leak). Don't suck too hard or your dive buddies might think you have some sort of weird fetish.

Jordan:
Good advice Phil - Thanks.

The suspect areas of any leak in the 2nd stage would be both diaphragms. Before you take it in you could pull a vacuum test yourself by just making sure the first stage has its cap on tight (or better yet put your finger over the opening) and suck on the 2nd stage and see if there's a leak). Don't suck too hard or your dive buddies might think you have some sort of weird fetish.

Jordans advice is very good. However, sometimes you can have a second stage vacuum leak that seals great when you suck on the second stage (that pulls a fairly strong vacuum), but when subjected to a much smaller micro vacuum, you can pull water. This type of leak often manifests itself at the very end of the inhalation cycle, when the vacuum pull created by your inhalation falls down very small. There is no question, a Dive Rite regulator should not breathe wet. If this continues, you definately have a problem.

Additional Note: Often times, the mouthpiece that comes on a partciular regulator just doesn't "fit" your mouth. I have had customers complain about wet breathing and all it takes is to change to another mouthpiece, maybe a different brand or material, and it solves the problem. Anyway, I hope you get it squared away.

Phil Ellis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom