Anyone up for boat diving Thursday 10-26?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear

NOK
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So far we have 3 planning to head to Seward for some Resurrection Bay diving on Thursday. There are a couple of pinacles we'd like to check out, but we need to live boat them, so a 4th diver would be great so we can do 2 up, 2 down and take turns for 2 dives each.

Forecast looks good so far:

PKZ121-241400-
RESURRECTION BAY
400 PM ADT MON OCT 23 2006 [SIZE=+1]WED NIGHT THROUGH FRI[/SIZE]
N WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.

Anyone coming from Anchorage/Girdwood/Valley is welcome to carpool - I have a crew cab truck.

Wish I was up there to go...:(

Mary's Rock in ElDorado Narrows was one of my favorite dives up there, are you guys planning on going there?

Poog:coffee:

Poogweese:
Wish I was up there to go...:(

Mary's Rock in ElDorado Narrows was one of my favorite dives up there, are you guys planning on going there?

I'd like to..... need to leave someone on the boat though :wink:

Another site mentioned was 3 hole rock... around Rez point on the Narrows side.

So did you make it? Share pics!

Well, we took the boat out.... Tried to dive the Thumb cove wreck, but the viz was the worst I've ever seen in Rez Bay at less than 2', so we thumbed the dive.

We started to head farther out to try another site, but in the hour we were in the cove, the weather had picked up quite a bit. Since we didn't have a boat driver and it was unlikely to be worry-free anchoring, we decided to head back in to Seward.

At least one of us (OK - me :D) had a blast driving into the 30 knot wind and 4' seas plus wind waves.

So... no pictures. Not much diving. But a fun boat ride.

Next week - another episode of Snowbear's Alaska winter boating adventures when she makes another solo trip in the Whaler out into Prince William Sound to go deer hunting. I'll bring dive gear of course..... and a halibut pole :D

OK - so it won't all be solo. I'll meet up with the folks at the oyster farm for at least part of the trip.... and will be giving the wife half of the folks a ride to Anchorage for some Dr appointments.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, I just thought someone might know the answer to this question.

Years ago I used to dive in Seward. Does anyone know the name of the large shipwreck off the inside rock beach on the Island in the middle of the far end of the bay? I was told when I dove it that it was sunk during the '64 earthquake. My buddy and I located it because of the magnetic compass disturbance it created when we were near it and because people were fishing it. Its quite large (ocean going) and right off the beach. Although the upper superstructure was a skeleton, the lower half was pretty intact (around 90 ft) if I remember correctly.

I never could get any more info on it. Any info would be appreciated- Thanks!

Fire and Ice:
I'm not trying to hijack your thread, I just thought someone might know the answer to this question.

Years ago I used to dive in Seward. Does anyone know the name of the large shipwreck off the inside rock beach on the Island in the middle of the far end of the bay? I was told when I dove it that it was sunk during the '64 earthquake. My buddy and I located it because of the magnetic compass disturbance it created when we were near it and because people were fishing it. Its quite large (ocean going) and right off the beach. Although the upper superstructure was a skeleton, the lower half was pretty intact (around 90 ft) if I remember correctly.

I never could get any more info on it. Any info would be appreciated- Thanks!

If you were in Johnstone Bay, it probably was the Alaska Steamer, Yukon. Otherwise I'm thinking it's the "Fox Island Wreck" on the Seward side, kind of in the middle of a beach spit. I was told it was a Liberty Ship? It's been a few years since I dove it, but I do remember the bow facing the beach and the stern in about 90' Anyone else know the history on this wreck?:confused:

Who did you dive with in Seward?

Thanks for the quick reply. It is in the middle of the rock beach. My buddy on the dive was a high school teacher in Anchorage. It was years ago - my log book is packed away right now or I would look up more info on the dive. Seward is a great place to dive, as a matter of fact I did my first "Boots Up" dive there in my new dry suit.
:) NOT!!!!!
Whittier is also a great dive site

Just did a google search and found this link it refers to a fox island wreck
http://www.alaska.net/~scubaguy/spots.htmhttp://www.alaska.net/%7escubaguy/spots.htm

no name of wreck though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom