10-13 Hammerhead Hill, Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
A few more Grand Cayman pics

Barracuda

PA130079-01cropsm.jpg

Grouper

PA130073-01cropsm.jpg

REALLY BIG bug

PA130069-01sm.jpg

PA130068-01sm.jpg

Reef Scene

PA130044-02cropsm.jpg

Couple of fish shots

PA130051-02cropsm.jpg

PA130050-01cropsm.jpg

Let me guess...manual white balance and also using flash?

torrey:
Let me guess...manual white balance and also using flash?

Ahhh man.. You beat me to it! :D

Yea.. that's a no no.. you hear so much talk about manual white balance and how you should do it.. that is for natural light shots.. not the strobe shots..

I did however run a little experiement.. I wanted to shoot some Magic filter shots AND strobe shots on the same dive with my D200.. so I slapped the magic filter in and did a white balance on land before the dive.. then all my strobe shots came out.. then when ready to go over to the magic filter you can redo the white balance and go for it.. I just turned the strobes off and did the white balance in Nikon Capture NX since I was shooting RAW.. Kind of interesting results. It worked..

I'm so ecstatic I got it right (assuming his camera isn't broken). I was just thinking it looks like the color had been compensated once already with white balance. A flash would normally bring out true color if white balance was still on auto. Since the color spectrum had already been adjusted with manual white balance, a flash just really set it off. Please note I'm mostly just talking to myself out loud...I am just beginning to understand white balance, but haven't played with it yet myself.

The red is due to poor light balance in the original, which I had to compensate for with the white balance adjustment in the RAW conversion program. My new strobe wasn't synching properly, and the Oly strobe has a very narrow beam and tends to be too hot in the center. When I adjust the WB during conversion, I have to choose between a dark blue picture with a very small area well lit, or a red foreground with some balance. I swapped the new D2000s for a Z240 with a hardwire and a Heinrichs/Weikamp ttl board, but I'm waiting while they're ordered. Hopefully, that will let me chuck the FL-20 and solve the hotspot problem. I've about had it with fiber optic links.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom