Chlorine & Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fusian

New
Reaction score
Just certifying and have my own gear including a nice new T52 BCD, just wondering about using my stuff in the pool - how much damage does chlorine do and what sort of damage, is there any way to prevent it? Evidently my gear isn't going to stay new for long, and its only the BCD thats new.....

Thoughts?

I just bought a used BC that's been a rental, probably half of it's use has been in a pool. It's faded, but in great shape. If you are just taking a class, don't worry about it. Rinse it well, but it willl not ruin your gear to have it in a pool for a few hours. The very worst you could get is a slight bit of fading, but the sun will do it more thanthe chlorine and the gear will look nice and new when it's wet anyways :)

Occasional training use is no big deal. For that sort of use a good thorough rinsing will limit the chlorine exposure time

Well cared for things like BCDs should look like new for 100s of dives.

Pete

My advice is to rinse well inside and out. I do that after any dive pool session, saltwater, or even fresh water.

I've seen BCD's go a little 'brown' after repeated pool use...but a good rinse can do wonders.

Cheers.

-J.-

A good soak is much more effective than than just a rinse since chlorinated water will be trapped deep within the fabric, especially on gear like BCs that can have many layers. Or better yet, a rinse followed by a soak, done as soon as possible after the gear comes out of the pool.

If you are really worried about chlorine, there are neutralizers available which you can add to the rinse water. These are mostly made with sodium thiosulfate, and are available from swimming pool supply and aquarium stores. Some BC/divesuit shampoos also include a neutralizer. Using a neutralizer in the rinse/soakwater ought to prolong the life, and certainly the appearance, of fabric gear if you are pool diving regularly.

WarrenZ:
My advice is to rinse well inside and out. I do that after any dive pool session, saltwater, or even fresh water.

You dont have much to worry about, may be a little fading in the blacks but not very bad, we have rental gear that is in the pool almost everynight of the week between march and october and then at lest twice a week after, even after a few years it still in good shape, never rinsed with fresh water. This same gear is out in saltwater during the weekend, good dive gear last a very long time if taaken care of it will look new for just as long.

Just rinse well, very well... BC's will turn brown with repeated pool use if not rinsed.

We dive in heavily clorinated water at the power plants. Never has harmed any of our good equipment. A great way to rinse is to buy a second shower curtain rod and place it about four feet high in the shower. Hang your gear and crank on the water...go have a cold beer while your gear rinses. Flip after about ten minutes. Heck, I even take a shower with it at times, saves water so long as you remember to straddle the rod. :)

Yea i jumped in the pool with it the other day then spent 10 minutes rinsing, should be ok i think... it's been in once now it can go in again. Had a few bouyancy issues with the new gear as well - underweighted i think (2kg).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom