my first gear purchase!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquarianna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everybody- so I've been certified almost a year and (finally!) am about to get my own gear :D. I'm sure you all have heard this plea before, but I would appreciate some advice on what to get...

Right now, my cert level is open water and although I probably will get advanced at some point, I'm planning on staying recreational. I'll be needing a reg that can hold up in cold water (think SD in fall through spring, Alaska in the summer), but I'm really not sure which to go with. I've heard good things about Mares (maybe a proton model?) and Atomic...but I'm really not sure about anything beyond that.

For a bc, I really would prefer a wing-style. I don't think I'll be needing double tank capacity, but how do you sort out what amount of lift you need?

I'd also like a basic computer, but won't be needing nitrox capability for now :wink:

Ok, so all that, and I have about $1100 to go on. From a lot of your opinions on the board here, it sounds like it's best to get as good a reg as you can afford, so I don't mind spending 400ish on one. Other than that, I'm completely open to suggestions!

Thanks a ton!

Anna

A first thing I'd try is hook up with an LDS (Local Dive Shop), see if they have a decent package -- BC, regs, computer. You're in the right price range for decent gear.

If for some reason you don't have any good LDS' (hard to believe -- there should be shops in your area), scubatoys does right by people. It's an LDS with a significant online presence, I forget which state they're actually in.

http://scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Package_BC_Reg.asp

Larry at scubatoys offers SB members a discount, I think it's something like 10% off their Web list price -- ask about it.

I would tend to use an LDS as first choice, as they would also do your reg servicing and it's good to develop a relationship with a local shop if you expect to dive a lot locally -- there's a lot of personal networking, service on equipment, questions on diving-related things. I do the great majority of my purchases locally, the shop does take care of me, usually coming close, if not spot on, to Larry's prices.

(LDS vs. Internet has been beaten to death -- I'm just confirming that you are in a decent price range, recommending doing a package to get the best discount.)

Anna,
Sherwood Blizzard.....awesome regs....I have three and I ice dive with them and have never had a freeze up yet. I love my Tusa BCJ-5950 Imprex Pro..my wife loves her Tusa Selene...actually made for women and Sherwood had a very nice Tortuga model.
Get the nitrox on the computer...you will love it on a nice long trip if and when you do dive nitrox.
Sherwood has the wisdom as well as a nice wrist computer...

I'll agree with Mark's comment above: first work with a local LDS. We have a few here in San Diego that are good - I like Ocean Enterprises on Balboa. Give them (or any other LDS you like) first chance to earn your business. Since you're putting together a package, that gives them some room to try and work out a good package deal. And I suggest that you make sure any recommendations are explained to you - why this particular BC, why this reg, etc. The dialog will help make sure they're giving you the best possible advice and that you're not left with something you find you don't quite like.

Thanks- I have been scoping out lds a bit, but I guess that's another thing to do research on.

I've always thought that it's good to get some unbiased advice first before going into a store where their first priority may (or may not...depends I guess) be to make the biggest profit. But scuba toys does look like a good option...I'll be sure to check them out...

jeffrey-c...thanks for the location tip. I'll be sure to look into it. Do you have any other you might recommend?

Aqua Tech south of downtown (near the end of the Coronado Bridge) is also pretty good, but I find them more oriented towards the commercial dive business. Most other shops I've found don't have too much of a selection on hand, and if you're looking at putting together a package I think having more choices would be good. And I personally don't think too much of Sports Chalet; they're selection is so-so, pricing is OK if you hit special sales but not very good otherwise, and I don't find the staff quite as knowledgeable.

Another good place is the Scuba.com dive center in Irvine if you make the jaunt up the 5. Very good selection and pricing, and you can look at their website to get an idea of what they have.

Your best bet is ScubaToys, who is a LDS in Dallas but one that doesn't sell dive gear like new cars. They also can do the servicing. I've bought a lot from Scuba.com as well.

You don't need a "relationship" with a LDS anymore than you need one with a gas station or grocery store. Do business on the merits of the transaction itself. Join a dive club or hang out on scuba forums to get information and advice from someone without a vested financial interest. Plus lots of dive buddies and a chance to try different gear in a real diving situation.

Sherwood makes great regs. I have a recent model Magnum and Oasis, haven't used the Blizzard. Few regs will freeze up in 48 degrees and you won't be in anything colder without a drysuit. All regs are pretty reliable and adequate for basic recreational diving.

For any reg, look for a brand that is rugged and easy to service. Throw out the highest end and lowest end models. Your best bang for the buck is usually around their intermediate model.

BC is a harder choice. Many people dive just fine in a cheap jacket BC. Many prefer back inflation for it's trim characteristics (usually puts you more horizontal) and tank stability. But a quality Zeagle or ScubaPro back inflate will cost you almost as much as a good BP/W setup. This is an item you might see your LDS about. Try it on in a pool or pond, not in the shop.

Get the nitrox computer. You may not think you need it for awhile but you'll be ready to do Nitrox sooner than you think, and the feature doesn't add much to the cost. This is a packaged electronics item that can be bought safely online.

Based on your location and intended diving, you left out the most important item. Exposure suit. This is an item you really need to see your LDS about. This needs to fit perfect and keep you warm. Everyone is different but you're probably looking at a 7mm wetsuit. Trust me, you'll be diving dry within 3 years.

The trickiest part will be finding an LDS that will do a great job with you on a BC and wetsuit without throwing a hissy fit if you get your reg and computer online.

I have the Atomic B2 and I love it. Breathes like a dream at any recreational depth. It has a swivel that reduces fatigue.

One thing I'll recommend you at least do is keep an open mind about nitrox. I really found it to be an interesting class. In CA I didn't use it as often, because even in a drysuit...I wussed out on cold before I got close to deco. When I moved to Florida, I was really glad I had it because I started to ...ehem...overstay my welcome WAY too often. I had the nitrox cert and switched and am really happy that I did. Not only is it safer, I really have more energy after a nitrox dive. I almost never dive straight air anymore. My nitrox cert is ANDI, and I liked the class because I felt like I learned alot about decompression and really had a much better understanding of oxygen and it's effects on the body at depth. So...just a thought. :)

Also...when I was in CA, I switched to steel tanks right when I got a drysuit. I really began wishing I had a backplate. I used a friends and it was sooo comfortable. Bouyancy was easy, it was so much more of a custom fit due to the harness configuration, all the back fatigue I experienced from the steel tank just disappeard. So even tho I know you weren't taught about it class ( or most likely weren't), it is not weird or radical. It's a great gear configuration and one worthy of checking into. So there is my 2 psi worth. Many years of happy bubbles!!!

Well, with that said, I'll make sure to get a nitrox compatable computer.

Hilary- I don't quite understand what you mean by using a backplate...don't all bc's have one? Or maybe I'm just more confused than I know :wink:

As far as the wetsuit is concerned...I already have one :). But it is old, maybe a new one could be in order.

jeffrey- thanks for the local heads-up, I'll check them out this weekend.

Thanks for your continued comments- this is very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom