Stupid questions regarding bb/wings: Please help an ignorant newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
I dont even have my certification yet but currently taking my OW classes.

Anyway, my LDS doesnt have a BB/Wings setup and he is the only guy in town.

We practiced with Zeagle Back Inflated BCD and thats it.

I am very interested in the separate independent concept of BB/Wings.

Can somebody point me to a resource that can take a NO KNOWLEDGE IGNORANT diver like me to a website that explains everything i need to know about BB/wings?

I have tons of Stupid questions as a newbie like ...

1) where do we put the weight ?? weight belt ?
2) where do we clip or stow the hoses ??
3) Pockets ??? where do we put our accesories ???
4) dumping weight ??? how ????
5) where is the inflator of the wings ??? is it the same as normal BCD ?? that comes with oral and low pressure inflator ??
6) which brand ?? Halycon ?? OMS ?? Dive Rite ???
7) Is it complicated and hard to setup a BB/Wing system ?? Do i need instructor's guidance ??
8) what is the OMS IQ pack ?? it looks like a JACKET ??

:confused: Just starting to take the sport and i do intend to start up right the first time around as i dont have $$ to burn for latter upgrades.

I dont think i will be getting into super technical diving like cave diving but wreck diving sounds interesting.

Either way, after the certification i definetly wanted to purchase my own equip.
Thank you.

Dxtreme once bubbled...
1) where do we put the weight ?? weight belt ?

There are a few options. Most use a weight belt, if they've not planned it out to have no ditchable weight. You can get ditchable weight pockets that you put on your harness.

2) where do we clip or stow the hoses ??

A basic webbing harness will allow you to put d-rings on in different places for clipping things. For example, you can clip your SPG or console to the left D-Ring on your waistband. You can clip an octo holder to the harness somewhere, or go with a bungied backup. It all depends on what you prefer...

3) Pockets ??? where do we put our accesories ???

There are pockets you can put on your webbing harness, or you could get thigh pockets [which is what I use].

4) dumping weight ??? how ????

This gets a little complex. The basic premise when diving with a BP/Wings is that you understand that dumping weight isn't something done frivolously. If you go with weight pockets on the harness, then you can ditch it just like any other weight integrated BC. If you go with a weight belt, you can either put your weight belt on after your rig, so that the weight belt is on the outside. However it's more common to have the weight belt on underneath your rig, which makes taking it off a little more of a challenge [you either have to unbuckle the rig, or unbuckle the weight belt and snake it out from under the crotch-strap.

5) where is the inflator of the wings ??? is it the same as normal BCD ?? that comes with oral and low pressure inflator ??

Yes. The only difference between my old BC and my wings setup is that the rear dump valve is on the left rather than the right.

6) which brand ?? Halycon ?? OMS ?? Dive Rite ???

For what? Backplate? Wings? You're much better off perusing the Bouyancy Compensator forum for threads about the different setups. It's best to read up on the pros and cons of each, and make your own judgement.

7) Is it complicated and hard to setup a BB/Wing system ?? Do i need instructor's guidance ??

It's not that hard. The tough part is getting the fit right. It's not bad, but it can get hot rigging everything up while you sit with your exposure suit on to try on! :)

With a little luck [and being nice] you might find someone in your area here that can help you out with fitting and rigging...

Hope that helps get you started...

When I started diving in April, I was taken by surprise by the lack of consensus on what is the best, or even a good equipment configuration. I have seen very experienced divers with diametrically opposed equipment philosophies both claiming that the other is full of **** and that you'll die of you follow the other’s philosophy.

For example the OMS bungeed wings, some claim that they are the best thing since slice bread that the bungees allow you to dump air in any orientation. Others say the bungees are an entanglement hazard and you'll die if you use them.

So what I recommend is that you take the time to get as much information as you can from as many different sources as possible before making a decision. Although a very good source of information, this board has a very strong DIR slant. While I personally find myself incorporating more and more of the DIR configuration, some of the concepts I disagree with, like the refusal to except the use of computers. I think it is important to examine the different points of view, cut through the hype and make an informed decision. With that said I recommend reading the book “Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving.” However, I also recommend checking out some more mainstream sources of information such as http://www.scubadiving.com/.

It seems like there are two types of divers, those that want to dive once or twice a year in warm clear water and those that go through withdrawal if they don’t dive at least once a week. I find myself in the later category. If you do also, be prepared to spend a lot of time and money! In equipment alone I’ve have spend $3,000 since April. And probably another $3,000 in travel, dive boat fees, quarry passes and air fills and over $1,000 in training. I’m still trying to save the $3,000 I need for a dry suit. I’m obsessed with the desire to obtain new scuba toys and try them out, that’s part of the fun.

But most importantly dive, dive, dive! Look at the people diving around you. It will quickly become apparent which are full of hot air and which you would like to learn from and emulate. If you’re lucky, you may even discover a mentor. If you are on a limited budget, your money may be better spent on diving and training than worrying about buying the perfect set of equipment out of the gate.

Good luck and have fun,

Mike

I will just add that there are no stupid questions on this board. This is what this board is so great for.

Chad

A company called Extreme-Exposure.com will let you buy a bp/wing rig and use it for 30 days, then send it back no questoins asked if you don not want it. Of course not too many do.

I liked that a lot because it gave me a chance to hold it and play with it before getting it wet, then diving with it, and taking it back home. I just looked at the shipping fee as a rental fee if I did not want it.

I don't think it takes an instructor to help you, but someone who dives one will be a big help. We can step you through the basics with no problem here.

The OMS IQ Pack is similar to a bc, but has an actual backplate in it. Find Texas Mike on this board, he has one. I have a good buddy who has had one for years and loves it.

I like the simplistic dir setup myself. To each his own.

Tommy

I also dive an OMS IQ Pak and am a fairly new diver (about 40 dives). The reason why I choose the OMS is due to the comfort. The IQ Pak basically puts some padding between you and the backplate. Although you will get mixed opinions about what this does for trim, I find it much more comfortable than the standard backplate and wings.

Just my two cents..

I think the comfort issue varies greatly depending on the thickness of your wetsuit, your body shape and your tolerance for discomfort. I find the BP/Wings much more comfortable underwater - I can feel the straps but I can't feel the tank or the wing, which is nice. On land, I still find it easier to trek around with it, maybe because its not as bulky and restrictivce as jacket style BC's are. But I wear a 7mil so there's plenty padding there :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom