st john for Xmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GEODIVE

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
First of all, a big hello to every member of this very useful board (it is my first post after all!).

I am planning to go on a live aboard for Xmas (st john, elphinstone)

I've been through all the previous posts , so i have a kind of feedback on the conditions there, but...

My concern is that apart from the awesome bottom scenery are we going to freeze on the boat ( because of the winds)? Are we going to need furcoats:wink: to stay on deck? Do we have to hang on the rails and throw our guts out?
Does it worth the trip and the expenses?

Thanx in advance

If you are doing a liveaboard to St Johns and taking in Elphinstone enroute, then it will be a decent-sized boat, so you shouldn't have any seasickness issues, unless you are really susceptible. Take some dive-friendly drugs anyway to play safe.

The wind will be fairly cool at that time of year, but once you have got dried off from the dive, you should warm up pretty quick. I've done several liveaboards in the Deep South in November, December, January and February, and I used a 5/7mm wetsuit (I even took my drysuit in January!) for the diving, and then had a lightweight fleece to chuck on as soon as I returned from the water and got dried off. Even towards the evening, I was still able to sit up on the top deck in shorts and the fleece. If you tend to feel the cold, put in a pair of jogging bottoms or something to give you more insulation.

You are going to have a blast.

Mark

many thanks for all the useful info.

we have booked with the M/Y Obssesion of the seaserpent fleet....any feedback?

Back
Top Bottom