C & C - wreck photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel.B

Contributor
Reaction score
In an effort to keep developing the skills I learnt during Mike's recent workshop, I'm going to attempt to post regular photos for C & C (I hope that's ok!) So here's the first couple.

Unfortunately I no longer have the beautiful Bali blue to work with so I've tried my best and I didn't also have good viz...maybe only 10-12m but there was a lot of particles in the water. I seem to have a better blue in the first shot, so I think I need to play with the second a bit more.

I like the way the jellyfish tenticles follow the lines of the ship but in the first shot I've cut of the corner of the wreck. In the second I'm a lot further away and have really blown out the corner but cropping:11: :no helps fill the frame and removes most of the blown out area. Also I think the bubbles are a distraction...I tried to photoshop them out, but it looks even worse so that's something to be aware of for next time.

Both were taken at 1/60, F5. Any suggestions on how to improve these photos for the future would be great :)

1. First photo
Eden00134edited.jpg

2. Unedited version - second photo
Edenunedited.jpg

3. Cropped version
Eden00135edited.jpg

thanks,
mel.b

What kind of Camera are you using?

I would try a higher F # instead of 5.... and as stated, you would probably do well with a strobe to light up the foreground subject (the jellyfish)

In #2 - I actually like the unedited photo better (for composition) but again, a higher F stop will give you a tighter sun ball, and the overall photo wouldn't be as over exposed in the background. It's a difficult shot to make, without a strobe, since you have a bright background, and a dark foreground. (i hope this makes sense) :D

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Probably my biggest challenge during the photo week with Mike was strobe positioning and I still have a loooooong way to go as those two photos were taken with dual strobes :headshake: Oops! Obviously had them pointing in the completely wrong direction :banghead: I'm using an Oly 5050.

Mel.b

Mel.B:
Thanks for the suggestions :)

Probably my biggest challenge during the photo week with Mike was strobe positioning and I still have a loooooong way to go as those two photos were taken with dual strobes :headshake: Oops! Obviously had them pointing in the completely wrong direction :banghead: I'm using an Oly 5050.

Mel.b
Possibly not enough on the strobe power? Now that you mention it, It does seem like there is some light on the jelly, but just not a lot.

Which strobe(s) are you using?? With a diffuser or not??

Strobes (1 x Inon D180 & 1 x D2000) were on Manual at 5.6, no diffusers.

How do people manage to move their strobes to get them into the right position for moving subjects like that :confused: I'm starting to get the hang on it for stationary subjects but I'm sure by the time I moved the strobes the jelly would have been long gone!

Can you post a picture of your setup?

It's all unassembled at the moment, but I'll be putting it back together to go diving on the weekend so if you still want to see a pic of it then, I'm happy to post one.

LOL - I do tend to have them done up pretty tight. I guess like anything it's just practice, practice and more practice and it starts to become more automatic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom