Regulator comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daptonema

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've decided it's time to buy a new regulator after trying my wife's new one. Does anyone know of any good sites that compare regulators. I know the dive magazines ocassionally do a comparison of a few but it would be good to see a wide range of models compared so I can decide whether it's worth replacing my old scubapro workshorse (so old it doesn't even have numbers to ID the model although I know the first stage is a MKV)

daptonema:
I've decided it's time to buy a new regulator after trying my wife's new one. Does anyone know of any good sites that compare regulators. I know the dive magazines ocassionally do a comparison of a few but it would be good to see a wide range of models compared so I can decide whether it's worth replacing my old scubapro workshorse (so old it doesn't even have numbers to ID the model although I know the first stage is a MKV)

This probably won't b popular with the manufacturs, but unless it's damaged, there's really no reason to replace it.

I've got a MK1 that works as well as my Atomic M1. The only reason I don't dive it more is because it only has 1 LP port, so there's no place to connect my alternate or drysuit hose.

If your reg doesn't breathe as well as your wife's what you need is a good service tech, not a new reg.

Terry

What about "balanced first stage" and other fancy terms in newer regulators? Can you adjust breathing resistance during a service?
That then brings me to another question. I bought the regulator as my instrucotr at the time said it was a great one to be able to service yourself. Where is a good place to start regarding learning to service your own regulator (or is it not worth the hassle most of the time)?

Why look any farther than Scuba Pro?
Look how long the one you have has lasted.
I have a new MK 11/r295 diaphram regulator,it' s sweet .
If your going diving below the ice you may want to get the MK 17/s555, same as MK 11 But Is Enviro. sealed .
MK 5 Is a piston type, if you like the piston type there best is MK 25/s600 NICE REG
You cant go wrong with scuba pro.
Scuba pro still makes the Mk 2 piston type which is very affordable and dependable.

there is alot of nice regs out there,

APEX,ATOMIC Both are bragged about on the board,and always seem to have great reviews.
For me its Scuba Pro!

Scubapro, Oceanic, Atomic, Apeks, Zeagle and many more companies all make good regs. I recently switched from oceanic Delta 3 (very good) to Atomic B2 (great). When you are comparing the good-performing models (where differences between regs is hardly noticeable to humans), it pretty much comes down to price, comfort, and perhaps, looks. If you'd like objective tests (breathing resistance at depth, ease of use, dryness etc) you can check out the following websites:
http://www.scubadiving.com/diving/regulators/
http://www.divernet.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?id=4878&section=1005&action=display&show=

Dive safely.

Although it's possible to do it yourself, it's easier (and probably faster and cheaper) to take it to a good shop for servicing and adjusting.

They can make it breathe as easy as you want.

Getting parts is difficult for individuals, since SP only sells to dealers.

Terry

daptonema:
What about "balanced first stage" and other fancy terms in newer regulators? Can you adjust breathing resistance during a service?
That then brings me to another question. I bought the regulator as my instrucotr at the time said it was a great one to be able to service yourself. Where is a good place to start regarding learning to service your own regulator (or is it not worth the hassle most of the time)?

EvaL,

Wondering if the Delta 3 that you are referring to is the same one that I have, the, Oceanic Delta 3 TDX5 Titanium Regulator? Mine has been fantastic.

We are in a situation where we may replace my GF's Oceanic Zeta regulator and are considering another Delta 3 TDX5 Titanium or possibly the Atomic B2 so I'd very much appreciate some more insight on what motivated you to switch. We would have already replaced her Zeta but since my Delta 3 Ti is much lighter than the B2, we are a bit hesitant because weight is important to her.... We are also considering waiting until Oceanic comes out with the replacement for the Zeta at DEMA...

Thanks for your thoughts,

Blue Moon

That Scubapro Mk V is a balanced piston design. I retired my modern Scubapro regs (Mk20/S600) and currently use the Mk V with a balanced adjustable 2nd and a adjustable octo. The modernh reg performs only slightly better at best and is not nearly as rugged.

Blue Moon:
EvaL,

Wondering if the Delta 3 We are also considering waiting until Oceanic comes out with the replacement for the Zeta at DEMA...

Thanks for your thoughts,

Blue Moon

We won't have a replacement for the Zeta at DEMA

The two selling points of the MK 5 were simplicity and "flow through" piston. Both are still valid. Modern Scubapro regulators like the diaphragm MK 17/18 are rather complex. In fact, the Scubapro diaphragm 1st stg reg with swivel turret, MK18, is the most complex first stage ever built. The piston first stages (TIS) have plastic parts which are supposed to act as "insulators" and are problematical. The second stages are crammed with O rings and tiny "balance" chambers. MY advice, if you decide to get another Scubapro, buy the MK10 or MK20 with G250 or G250HP. Be aware that the swivel turret bolt and nozzle of the MK20 are subject to factory recall. These components are soft brass and may break. However, the failures have been due mostly to incompetent technicians who over torque the parts. There is nothing wrong, really, with the MK20. The G250 is very light in the mouth and breaths wonderfully light and natural.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom