A Question ForThe Old Timers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was reading a scuba article that was fairly dated (early 80's I think) that made reference to a danger coming from rusted CO2 cartridges.

Though it didn't say directly, I got the impression it had something to do about bc inflation. Were early bc's used only for emergency like a pilot's mae west?

Marc :jester:

Back in the 80's they used to have an emergency inflator that used a co2 cartridge. It had a ball on a string that hung down by your bc pockets that when you pulled it, it activated the co2 cartridge. I think they did away with them because when they rusted they became useless.

Actually, the main reason you no longer see CO2 inflators is because of sharks.

If a shark becomes aggressive, you pull your knife, stab your buddy and pull his CO2 inflator.

Seriously, they are a great idea if you need emergency inflation on the surface. They are a terrible idea if they go off accidentally at depth. Rust had nothing to do with their demise.

For commercial diving an inflation source separate from the divers breathing gas supply is required. (OSHA 29 CFR 1910.430 (d) 3 & 4)

The buoyancy device must be manually inflatable, orally inflatable and maintain the diver on the surface in a face up position.

The depth these units are rated to is based on the size of the manual inflation system (either a pony bottle air / or CO2 cartridges)

The CO2 cartridges are periodically weighed to ensure they have not been expended; most often used are 37-gram carts.

They do rust after long exposures to the salt-water environment and if not removed and cleaned after each dive can rust in place making the actuator useless.

I have not seen nor heard of one being actuated at depth unintentionally but have seen many actuated when the diver is climbing into the boat…

Military divers use SCUBA to a depth of 190 fsw and use a buoyancy device qualified for that depth, most contain two 37.5 gram CO2 cartridges to provide adequate inflation at 190 feet sea water.

Jeff Lane

Walter once bubbled...
Actually, the main reason you no longer see CO2 inflators is because of sharks.

If a shark becomes aggressive, you pull your knife, stab your buddy and pull his CO2 inflator.

Seriously, they are a great idea if you need emergency inflation on the surface. They are a terrible idea if they go off accidentally at depth. Rust had nothing to do with their demise.

Gee I hope you wouldn't pull a knife on your buddy.... or Bonaire is the the last dive we'd do together LOL

I too thought it was due to rust --- and the "new" method of inflating BCs from the tank.

Am I an "old timer?" Depends on to whom you're comparing me. No point in stabbing you unless you have a CO2 inflator. We always worried about the ones who didn't laugh.

CO2 inflators existed along side LPI's for many years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom