OT: Restaurant Recommendation in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefugee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

Is there a restaurant guide for the Monterey area (including Carmel)? If you have an eatery that you can recommend in the Montery area, I'd love to hear a little review about it - including type of food, price and service. Considering how often I have been going to Monterey for some diving, it would be nice to try out different eatery (especially some of the affordable one).

Thanks
minh

Well, I assume you're familiar with places like Turtle Bay (good, inexpensive Mexican) and Gianni's Pizza (GREAT pizza!) and RG Burgers. But we ate at a little Mediterranean restaurant called Norma Jean's that's not far from the Lone Oak Lodge. It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't expensive, either (or wouldn't have been, had we stayed out of the wine list). I had lobster ravioli that were fantastic. I'd recommend the place.

A good place for lunch or breakfast is Crepes-a-go-go. It's on wave street near the aquarium. Pretty cheap and you can get super tasty crepes either stuffed with sweet stuff or more lunchy sandwich stuff. The local Monterey free papers have big resteraunt lists in them so you can always look for those (i'm sure they're online).

I liked the Sardine Can.

Dinner, moderate. Great vino.

Rosine's in downtown Monterey is a really great deal. Plentiful food, reasonably priced, huge menu, fantastic desserts, good service....we go there a lot after diving. It's fairly casual as well, which is always nice when you're fresh out of the ocean. http://www.rosinesmonterey.com/

Trust what Chris is saying. He LIVES down there. Pick up the local free paper and start visiting the restaurants.

It really depends on what kind of food you like and what your budget is. Some of us have our local favorites like the Charthouse and now Latitudes (because of its close proximity to the dive sites), but it's up to you.

Remember to eat responsibly.

Some of the standard Monterey diver's eateries, in no particular order:

Gianni's, on Lighthouse, pizza and pasta
Turtle Bay
The British Bulldog, on Lighthouse, British pub with good burgers
Hula's, on Lighthouse
Pepper's (Pacific Grove)
Vivalo's, on Lighthouse

And some pricier but good (not tourist ripoff) places:
The Charthouse (Cannery Row)
Monterey's Fish House (Del Monte a block from Aquarius)
The Old Bath House (at Lovers)
The Rocky Point (about 15 miles south on 1, but worth the drive)
Massaro & Santos (above the breakwater deli)

On the way home:
Traildust, GREAT ribs, in Morgan Hill, on Monterey Hiway between Dunne and and Cochrane)

Intentionally left off the list:
Breakwater deli (not as good under the new management)
Bubba Gump's (WAAAY too much emphasis on high-bycatch shrimp)

Chuck

When did the deli go under new management?

Here is one of my favorites:

Siamese Bay Thai Food
131 Webster Street
Monterey
(831) 373-1550

They have sort of weird hours, like they close between lunch and dinner. They reopen at 5:00 I think, but they have let us in at 4:30.

mweitz:
When did the deli go under new management?

They went under new management a few years back. The old owner was a good dude and loved to BBQ. I still eat there on occasion but the tri tip is not near as good as it used to be and the atmosphere is a bit moodier if you ask me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom