FredT Backplate slot angle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I just put the webbing on a friend's FredT plate the other day... and was somewhat perplexed by the very top slots.

On the other makes of plates we have around here the top slots are angled and allow the shoulder straps come smoothly over the shoulder as well as lay flat on both sides of the plate.

On the FredT plate the slots are not angled... rather they are parallel to the top of the plate and perpendicular to the channel.

This causes the straps to bunch up awkwardly. Has anyone else had this problem with a FredT plate?

The slots appear to be identical on my FredT and Halcyon backplates, except for having a lot more on the FredT.

Roak

I'll try to get a picture of the other guy's plate today. The slots on my Halcyon plate seem slightly slanted... and I will check that again too.

When rigging this FredT plate up I found that the webbing as it comes up over the top of the plate is only contacting on the inner edge causing it to buckle back on the outside edge of the webbing toward the tank side of the plate. If the webbing were to come over the plate flat with complete contact between the full width of the webbing and the top of the plate then the shoulder straps would cross over behind the neck.

Maybe my webbing has cut through enough to lay flat :D

I just checked.

The Halcyon plate does indeed have slots just like the FredT.

Perhaps the webbing buckling up had something to do with the extra thickness of the FredT and new, dry, stiff webbing.

We are diving again today so I will check to see if his straps have laid down flatter.

The slots on the Hoadley and Koplin plates are slanted.

I think it is the newness of the strap material..... mine did that at first... then settled down a bit. I thought it was weird at first too.

In all fairness to Fred.... you may want to alter your thread title just a bit... some may glance at it without reading this in its entirety and "think" they read something about Freds BP having a slot angle problem. Just a thought. I know I sort of thought that until I read your post(s).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom