Big Bay Point Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bowson

Reaction score
Hay all you Big bay point divers. I just wanted to let you know that there is a wreck off of Big Bay point just to the left of the dock and out about a quarter way into the channel. It went down in the early 70's. This I was told by a neigbor who watched it go Kir Plunk back than.

Any more infos ? I dove there many times and didn't see anything ?

How deep ? How far off the rope ?

Compass heading ? GPS coodinates ?

Big Bay Pt as in Barrie? If so I would love to know where it is too...not really that far away

Hello

Its not a row boat, its a 36 foot Criscraft? cabin cruiser that went down in 1978. You'll never reach it unless you have DPV's. I've been there its dark, its deep at 112' and like the entire lake if you stir up the bottom, your lost. We always use navigational beacons to bring us home. One of the older folks who live up there showed us photographs of it sinking. It took us three weeks to find her with the DPV's. We won't run any lines out to her because we don't want scuby duers getting hurt. For what its worth there is also another wreck off of the Morrison wreck in Barrie in 80' of water which was sunk by a scuba association back in the early eighties.

HIDBoy

Sorry, I'm just too used to folks finding the rowboat off the government dock and claiming to have found a new "wreck"

:rolleyes:

"Scuby Doers" Hidboy??

I like that. Can I use that in my next class or on The What's News? http://www.scuba2000.com/new.htm

I assume it's your creation so you can give permission?

I've used the 'rowboat' or whatever it is to create excitement for new divers hundreds of times over the years at Big Bay. Just as experienced divers relish the thought of finding or seeing something underwater, so do new divers. I've created some interesting stories about the 'rowboat' (actually I think it's parts of the old wooden dock that was there years ago. The dock has been re-built 3 times that I know of).
One of the best loved story was about the Neo Nazis who camped on one of the islands in Simcoe at the end of the war and came to Big Bay by night to replenish their supplies and to spy in preparation for the return of Germany to world dominance. Apparently they were surprised by the RCMP one night who, after the gun battle, sank the boat. I believe I actually have the Nazi Captain's pistol on display at S2K. You can just imagine how anxious new divers would be to get in the water and search the 'wreck' and the bottom. All in fun and that is the idea - right?

You mentioned a wreck just off the Morrison put down in the eighties. Could you please give me some more info on it such as an easy way to find it. I live in Barrie and would love to find a nice close dive that I could go do on a whim. That one sounds interesting.

Thanks

Craig

Hi

The wreck is more towards the marina and out a fair distance in eighty feet of water. I beleave it is an old cabin cruiser that was sunk out there by a dive club in the early eighties. If I'm not mistaken Brian Wake PADI course director was a big part of this sinking.

Cheers

DMI

Back
Top Bottom