Long backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kcanty

Reaction score
Hi all,

does anyone here have experience with longer than
stock backplates? I am 6'3" and think a longer BP
would be nice especially for the waistband not coming
close to my diaphram.

Also is there any other manufacturer for long BP's
besides scott koplin ( www.selchie.com ) or is he
the only one?

TIA,

Kell

No experience with a long backplate, but get a hold of FredT on this board. He makes BP's in all sorts of weights, lengths, and materials-the quality is excellent and the prices are very good.

ftagge@goldinc.com is his email.

I don't really have a problem with my current
BPs ( diverite 1 - al 1- SS ) but just think a longer
one might be more comfortable and I don't like the
angle on the waist band.

Also the 1/4 inch version from scott weighs in at
12.6 lbs which would allow me to ditch the
V-weight I'm using now.

Kell

There is a guy named Gary Hoadly on Ebay (I believe that is how you spell his name)..... and he has different length BP's. Just tell him your measurements. He may even make it custom fit for you I believe. His product is very good. He uses differing thickness S/S also... let him know what you are looking for.

You can try doing a search on Ebay under "backplate" in their "Sports" category. Be sure to click on "title AND description". You should be able to find him that way.

jaydee197:
Any comments on the Abyss long backplate? Would like input before purchasing

The new medium backplate is an 1" longer than the old design.. This seems to fit most divers and is very stable.. You will like the design since you need only two cam bands if you dive singles and if you dive doubles well it has three holes at the top of the plate for wing placement and a slot at the bottom which means if you didn't get your bands just right no worry...Works really well with the Abyss wing... Go to www.abyss.biz and you can see the wing and backplates also if you have any questions you can email either me or Chris at chris@abysmal.com

Good luck
Randy

Kcanty,
Try criss-cross-ing the waste belt behind your back. This will bring the waste belt down at about a 15-20 degree angle. I learned about this trick from Jeff at JetHarness.com. After you find a longer BP that is to your liking, talk to Jeff about measuring you for custom fitting your harness to your body shape and size. I was very suprised at the difference that custom fitting makes to the overall comfort of my BP&W.
Matthew J D'Avella

Back
Top Bottom