Driving on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jcsgt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, at first I was excited about going to Oahu, next month, and exploring the island via rental car. However, since reading recent posts by the locals, I'm getting a bit apprehensive.

Besides not parking in the "long spaces", what other laws (written or otherwise) should I be aware of in order to remain un-incarcerated?

I hear talk of crazy drivers, there. Should I bring a helmet? Kneepads? My Smith and Wesson?

How about the higher crime areas? At which sites should I be more cautious or avoid altogether?

Sheesh, I thought this was going to be a nice, relaxing vacation!

Main thing. Watch for pedestrians. Highest incidence of pedestrian deaths in the nation. I almost take out a few every month, which is why I almost never go to Waikiki.

My parking "crime" is the first in 6 years...so..not too bad.

Drive better anytime you are in a rental car. Bring proof of insurance if you decline the rip-off type at the rental agency.

Don't honk or casually flip the bird, it isn't done here.

If someone is just sitting there, they are probably trying to time it perfectly to pull out right in front of you.

Forget the whole concept of the responsible west coast merge. Instead, go in to polite mode and make eye contact first and hesitate for permission.

Entrance ramps are very short, you might even have to stop, as weird as that is to wait for a break.

Everyone drives slower.

Don't shaka fresh off the plane.

Parking stalls are minature.

Parking garages are incredible. Hope you aren't claustraphobic.

Parking is very expensive in Honolulu. Many times I drive to the area, park some place free and cab it. Cabs are cheap.

Speedtraps yes, tickets for illegal u turns, etc, never seen one. Streets get coned around 4:30 for lane reversal, and this makes driving on one way streets, no L turns, etc , nuts. Just pull into an establishment and turn around...the further you drive the worse it gets. If you see H 1 east, don't assume a westbound exists as well.

My advice due to the fact there are no constonants here, except for "K's"...MAPQUEST everything.

Don't get on the H3 by mistake...no getting off for MILES.

Do not use your turn signal, it tips people off that you are slowing down and just gives them "ideas".

Whew.

No offense, Hawaii...I can write one of these for most places I have lived.

Do not ever ask for directions unless you can decipher "mauka", etc. East, west, south, north doesn't really exist here.

Drivers VERY forgiving. Right after I moved here, I went the wrong way because I did not know they stole lanes at rush hour and they were reversed. Not one car honked, everybody waited for me to get turned around...very polite drivers. many different cultures from different places so they are accustomed to people making mistakes or being lost.

I've rented cars, before, so I'm definitely using my own insurance and not buying theirs.

As far as pedestrians, I always watch for them, but most move too quickly for me to hit them. I must work on that skill! :D

OH DIVING!

thought you said driving.

sorry Chantal.

yea, I have rented cars but my x just got a ticket in a rental for 600 dollars cause he did not have his insurance card. (it was in his vehicle)

well..you are a cop, you probably know all this stuff. I learn as I go.

"long" = boat trailer spot...it is a crime punishable by prison. (that's what the website says)

I did mean driving, I screwed up the title and am trying to fix it.

I'm trying to avoid your court system. I've never been kicked out of anyplace where I've vacationed, but I did come close in Egypt. Long story.

ok....you're driving

if you are at a stoplight and an officer is near by make sure you have your seatbelt on, they are quick to write tickets.

Thanks for fixing my title, Lisa!

Yes, I've heard that some of you locals have seatbelt "issues". :rofl3:

BTW, are you going to be driving us or will Roger? Should I be scared?

lol...you have 50-50 chances :D (we are both 10+ years accident free...does that make you feel any better?)

catherine96821:
Main thing. Watch for pedestrians. Highest incidence of pedestrian deaths in the nation.

Are there mostly Asian drivers there?:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom