dSLR? not yet. thoughts.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, some of you may remember me asking about SLR cameras, and you were all very helpful then. Now, I'm having second thoughts about getting an SLR just yet, mainly because of the cost, bulk, and never ending equipment options. The price, in conjunction with me not really wanting to lug around a big SLR unit, joined with the idea that such a pricey and large unit may turn photography into too much of a commitment for me is really making me rethink this. On the other hand, I look around this board and there are so many awesome photographers and photos and i want to be a part of it.

I love taking pictures while i'm diving, but i also love just cruising around. Having such a setup makes me think that any photography opportunity missed, would be taking it all for granted. Don't get me wrong, i really enjoy coming home from a day of diving and checking out the "fruits of the flash" and picking out my favorites, showing them to friends, and figuring out what could be done differently in the future. sometimes i take my little camera with me and take it out only a few times on a dive, and other times i never put it down. I want to dive with a camera, not for my camera.

Point being, i need a camera that will be able to support my desire to take pictures efficiently and have a high potential for quality pictures. i was thinking along the lines of an SP-350. It is not too big, not too pricey, and has the option of additional lenses. Anyone have advice or thoughts on this camera and the like? thanks, i hope i wasn't too schizophrenic.
dave

I think that the 350 would suit you very well. I'm sure you've done your research on it and on other models, but if not there are several threads here and around the place.

I am still a firm believer that no one camera nor one type of system (dslr or compact etc) is right for each and every person. I think there are a tremendous number of divers who feel much like you do - including myself some days!

Go for it - start shopping then get in the water and start shooting!!

And the Fuji E900 has more controls and a much better sensor. I can shoot macro right up whtere with the DSLR users.

Jack

I really like the SP-350 for a point and shoot also. My wife shoots with it and she gets VERY nice results even though she doesn't do everything just perfect. It is very forgiving and has a very good and clean sensor. It also, as you pointed out, has a lot of options and can be adapted easily for INON lenses and TTL strobes.

As I often suggest you may want to look at buying a Used DSLR set up. You can get incredible stuff at 1/2 the price as others upgrade. Check the classifieds here and the other usual suspects.

DSLR is a big committment...especially for traveling. I check a Pelican 1620 and carry on a Tamrac 692....and that doesn't include anything but camera, lenses, housing, ports, strobes, etc. NO clthes and NO dive gear. At times I wonder if it is worth it (usually at the beginning of a trip). By the end of the trip, I feel it was worth it.

YMMV,
Dave

Unfortunately the bulk of a good UW camera system is the flash that is necessary for a lot of conditions. If you are lucky enough to shoot in conditions where you have great vis and you are staying shallow, a flash is not as necessary.

The SP-350 certainly looks like a good camera. The negative is the not very wide 38mm EQ lens. The positive, a hotshoe, RAW, good macro.

There are so many options out there that it's really difficult to say X is the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom