Durability: OMS BP/Wings vs Jacket BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
Seems like with the BB/Wing system, where the bladder are naked and EXPOSED it would be more prone to punchure from sharp objects ??

I never tries a BB/WIng setup yet but i am concern about Cuts from the backplate ???

Call this silly but " wouldnt the alloy or steel backplate easily cut the wing bladder or the skin on my back ?? (ouch ??)

ALso I need some opinion of the OMS IQ pack. I will do most diivng in warm water with 3mm suit or thinner. Is this design defies the purpose of BB/WIng to begin with ??

OMS seems to be the least favorite company vs Halycon and Dive rite ???? Do they make inferior products compared to the other BB/Wing guys ???

The bladders aren't naked and exposed, they're covered by the same sort of material that any jacket-style BC is made of. Actually, the material on my Trek Wings seems a bit thicker than the material that made up most of my rental BCs.

I recently purchased an OMS IQ, and got my first chance to dive with it this past weekend. With a SS BP inserted and an STA, I was able to do without a weight belt, and I felt incredibly comfortable underwater. The only complaint I had was that the bolts for the STA seem just a tad too short to go through the IQ and the backplate, so I have the wingnuts inside the IQ. (STA -> IQ -> BP -> Wingnut instead of STA -> IQ -> BP -> IQ -> Wingnut)

I had previously tried on a friend's Halcyon BP, and it just didn't seem to fit right on my back. Kept pressing up against my shoulder blades uncomfortably. I don't usually end up wearing an exposure suit out in the warm waters off the coast here, and I think that may have something to do with why I didn't care for a plain BP. Of course, my buddy dives it without any exposure suit, so it seems it's just me.

I'd reccommend an IQ, but of course I'd reccommend that you try out everything first so you can determine what fits you the best, and what makes you most comfortable.

I think the biggest gripe against OMS is their 'bungeed wings of death.' I chose a Dive Rite Trek wing to go with my IQ, because I like the single bungee design. (I'm assuming that the OMS wings are multiple bungees from the pictures of them that I've seen. I don't have proof)

Jon

Oh, yeah, and the IQ is easily adjustable. I was able to make it fit me perfectly in just a few minutes, whereas my buddy with the BP is still making adjustments to his setup each week between dive trips to try and get everything set just right.

not likely at all. bp edges are all bevelled. the worst that can happen is if you dropped the bp on your foot (ouch!)

The wing nuts in bps with single tank adapters won't touch you either because the indentation / concavity aling the bp centerline is way deeper than the screw length. better yet halcyon bps do not need sta's hence no wing nut at all.

try one out.

kitbuga

philippines

I've been diving one all year now. I got it late last winter. I have totally enjoyed it. Its comfortable, easy to dive, easy to adjust, and I have had no probelms with it.

The only complaint I had was that the bolts for the STA seem just a tad too short to go through the IQ and the backplate...
I havn't had this problem. I'm diving with an OMS STA as well.

One thing I really like about the pack is the 3 rings down each side. I have figured out how to clip weight off to the rings to gain proper trim. It works great.

That being said.... You can get a SS back plate and harness and an Al BP and harness and a single wing for about the same cost.

TwoBit

Are you putting both washers on the bolt? If I left off the lock washer, I could get it to fit, but I didn't want to leave that off.

But I'm not stacking them. One washer is on one side and the lock is next to the wing nut.

I admit its tight. I have to push down on it to get it to grab, but once it grabs I can tighten it down pretty good.

TwoBit

but I couldn't get it to screw down enough to have the end of the bolt flush with the top of the wingnut. Maybe I'll try again with the washers the way you have them.

ALso I need some opinion of the OMS IQ pack. I will do most diivng in warm water with 3mm suit or even without a wetsuit .

Is the OMS design defies the purpose of BB/WIng to begin with ??

OMS seems to be the least favorite company vs Halycon and Dive rite ???? Do they make inferior products compared to the other BB/Wing guys ???

Anyone that sells and guarentee a OMS for return ?? like extreme exposure on the Halycon ?

ALso I need some opinion of the OMS IQ pack. I will do most diivng in warm water with 3mm suit or even without a wetsuit .

I like it. As I said in my previous post. I just got back from diving it in Coz. I really like it.

Is the OMS design defies the purpose of BB/WIng to begin with ??

Not sure I understand your question. You can add a back plate to it easily. It works well that way.

Least favorite... I dunno... I guess that depends on who you talk to. Around here... yeah its partly because there are alot of people who don't like the bungied wings. Inferior products.. IMHO.. No.

Last question... That varies by shop.

TwoBit

Back
Top Bottom