Sharks and other big critters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wolverine

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a dilemma on my hands. I currently have 60mm, a 105mm and a 15-30mm lenses but I don't think any of them is ideal for taking photos of big fish. Can anyone tell me what kind of focal length they usually shoot at for sharks and other big critters? I can always go for a zoom but I would think a single focal length lens would be better. I am using a D200 in an Aquatica housing.

PS I am new to U/W DSLR photography.

Many thanks.

This DX lens is perfect for what you are looking for. Depends on your dome port, but I use a 2T Diopter with mine. Nice glass.

If you can get real close the 10.5 is an option. But this lens is really a better "wreck" lens.

Jeff

that all depends....

grey reef sharks and such where they rarely get within 6 feet of you? places like Palau?

I would suggest the 15-30 is good for that. If you want prime.. maybe something along the lines of 28 or 35mm

Mantas in Yap where they sit on your head? 10.5mm

10,5 not good for most sharks unless you feeding in bahamas with the tigers or a GW in a cage

i shot the mola in Bali with 12-24mm and it was at about 19mm on the zoom....

whatever the case... get the 10.5mm, its my fave WA lens...

ok.. so largely less than 30mm? In that case, I wouldn't need to get another lens :). I can use my 15-30mm Sigma with the 8" WA Port. Yay! Just saved myself a few hundred dollars.:D

hmmm the 10.5mm... that is a thought. I'll try it at 15mm first and see if its enough.. if not, that will be my birthday present to myself next year. :wink:

Wolverine

In the years when I was using the Nikonos RS exclusively I experimented a lot with the right lens for sharks and finally settled on the 28mm. Obviously a wider lens (the 13mm for the RS, the 10.5mm now) is great on those occasions when you can get VERY close, but that doesn't happen all that often. With lenses longer than 28mm there is simply too much water between you and the animal, strobes become ineffective, and colors and shades dull. I had the 20-35mm zoom lens which I initially thought would be ideal, but I eventually stopped using it because I just couldn't react fast enough to take advantage of the zoom feature. For me the consistently best lens to use for sharks was the 28mm.

Have now photographed, great whites, one small whale shark, grey reefs, hammer heads, etc... the lenses that has been on for 90% of these have been the 17-35 and now the 17-55. I just like the flexibility and don't have to worry about editors review my shots.

Back
Top Bottom