Problem with my Oceanic Data Plus computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yasser

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dears ,

I have faced a problem during the last dive trip with my Oeanic Data plus.
The computer indicated that I have entered in the decompression during my second dive. The computer then switched to Guage mode the stayed in Guage mode for 24 hours.
I compared this with my buddy's computer who had the similar profile during the previous dive and this dive. My buddy's computer didn't go near Deco.

I have been using the data plus for a long time and it was always very similar to my buddy's computer readings.

I think that the computer is not performing well. How can I check and what do you think can cause this problem ?

I ready need support from Oceanic experts.

Will that computer allow you to download the dive profile? If so, take a look at the depths and times and see if they make sense. Maybe the depth gauge wasn't functioning correctly. And use the dive tables to calculate your nitrogen loading. Also check the nitrox blending that the computer was set to (again assuming you can dump the dive profile).

A friend of mine had an Oceanic VEO that appears to have hung up in an altitude mode. He did not get into deco but had same symptoms you are describing. Problem was apparent when we let his computer clear and compared his dive planning values with mine and the manual.

After you verify the fault, you will probably need to contact Oceanic for support. They did a great job of taking rectifying his problem.

thansk for you helpful replies , unfortunately I can't down load the data because I don't have the IR connector.
I am sure that the depth gauge was working well , I remeber checking it during the dive with my analoge console. Also when it switched to gauge mode I lost trust and was always checking both comuter and console and at times my buddy's computer.

I really don't know what to do wheather to trust this Data plus comuter again or go for a new one ?

I need someone from Oceanic to respond to My message please

Hi Yasser,

The only possible explanation I can provide without getting the unit returned for evaluation is that the computer defaulted to 50% O2/79% O2 following a Nitrox dive. Following a Nitrox dive, if the computer is not reset for your next mix, even if it is the same used on the previous dive or air - it will default to this setting. If you were not diving prior with a Nitrox setting, then I would suggest that you contact our customer service department for further evaluation - 800-435-3483.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi Doug ,

Thanks for you reply. I was not using Nitrox in any of my dives.
I am clocated in Egypt. Is there any test facility here that I can refer to for checking my computer. I will be diving soon and I will miss my Data plus very much.

Thanks ,
Yasser

Hi Yasser,

Can you please check your Data Plus to see if you have set the default value to Air (21%) or you didn't. The default factory setting for the computers is to reset itself to 50% Nitrox on the next dive automatically to maximize safety. If you haven't modified it manually when you bought the unit or you have changed the battery and didn't re-adjust the setting then it has returned to the default factory value of 50%.
Because the MOD (Maximum Operating Depth) that you can use the Nitrox 50% to is only 28 Meters, then the computer should have started to sound alarms for a minute or two and then it will transfer itself to Gauge Mode for the next 24 hours because the profile you just did cannot be applied to the Decompression Model built into the unit's memory.

Best regards,
Rafik Shaarawy

Hi Rafik,

I need a bit of explanation form you... I never used the Nitrox feature in the Computer. I always dive with Air.

The computer is set on Air as the Tissue loading bars on the left are the once increasing as I dive.

Also "my" Data plas doesn't have audible alarm so I just want to make sure that you are taking about the same model.

i will be waiting for more of you valuable information.

Hi Yasser,

You found him - Mr. Fix (Rafik) is our distributor.

Doug

Yasser:
Hi Doug ,

Thanks for you reply. I was not using Nitrox in any of my dives.
I am clocated in Egypt. Is there any test facility here that I can refer to for checking my computer. I will be diving soon and I will miss my Data plus very much.

Thanks ,
Yasser

Back
Top Bottom