other thoughts ... split from DSLR, not yet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevrumbo

Banned
Reaction score
South Santa Monica Bay/Los Angeles California, USA
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Kevrumbo:
I would consider a dSLR if there were more variety, selection and housing support for cameras the size of this:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06091401olympuse400.asp
(Too bad it's not being released here in the States yet. . .)

If you think that housing a camera that is an inch smaller in any or all directions is some big saving, think again. Sure every bit saved makes the package smaller. But realistically the savings is small, and puchasing a high end alum housing makes the difference non-existant.

I'm famouns for thinking I can somehow put a big system in a small package. For years I thought that the perfect bag was one where I could put 3000 ci of stuff in a 2000 ci space! :confused:

Unfortunately the physics never works out well, and I think that aside from the huge DSLR case, what one finds is that the strobes are as much or more of an issue.

5.1x3.6x2.1 OE-400 vs. 5.2x4.1x3 nikon D80, if you are thinking the Oly E-400 is somehow tiny compared to other SLR's, open you eyes. That with a sensor that is 25% of the size of all other DLSR's? Long story short, small sensors=lower image quality.

If you want to go small, look at a PnS. They do a damn good job especially if you find models that can use after market features like the Inon stack lenses.

Okay then . . .do you think we'll ever see a "digital Nikonos System"?

Kevrumbo:
Okay then . . .do you think we'll ever see a "digital Nikonos System"?

Hmm, no. Nikon invested a LOT into that system, but I'm not sure they made much $$. They invested even more into the RS SLR UW system, and I bet they lost money. The Nikonos system, while great was not without issues. As it was a rangefinder system it was difficult to focus, and Very expensive. The RS system fixed the focus issues, but it was even more expensive. Only pros could afford it, hard to make money with that.

The technology now has eclipsed original Nikonos technology. If you want a small system with very good results, buy a PnS system, and live with the downsides. If you want a great UW DSLR system, get ready to carry some stuff.

If you want to feel better, watch an IMAX video. Those dudes carry a 250lbs camera/housing UW, and WOW, all I can say is.... WOW! If you want SUPER quality, get ready for some hassle. If you want DSLR quality, then carry a DSLR.

I'd have to agree. I doubt we'll see anything really like that again.

The compact cameras now have so many options and are well supported. They also have wonderful quality images. Compacts are still the way to go for the majority of divers imho. And I prefer "compacts" to "P&S" as in my mind they are two different things - "compacts" allow manual controls and other features; "P&S" are exactly that...lots of auto modes, no real control & not particularly suitable for uw shooting.

Dslrs are nice, but they aren't the be all, end all for each and every person.

Kevrumbo:
I would consider a dSLR if there were more variety, selection and housing support for cameras the size of this:

I have a Pentax *istDS, which is only 2mm deeper (negligible) and 12mm (1/2" in Old-Speak) higher than the E-400, but it is 5mm (or 1/4", in Old-Speak) narrower than the E-400. Not much difference.

I've housed it an aluminium housing from UK-Germany, which is around 3mm (1/8") thick all round. Compare that to a Canon or Nikon DSLR in a thick poly housing, and mine looks about half the size.

If you compare mine to a C or N housed in aluminium, they will be very similar in size.

Kevrumbo:

The E400, or atleast a US version of it, will supposedly be released in the US in 2007 and announced at PMA in February.

There is a gallery at PBReview with shots from the camera, they aren't 100% in size so its hard to determine image quality. http://www.dpreview.com/news/0610/06102901olye400japangallery.asp

Brief review, mostly about noise, here http://www.4-3system.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=86

ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:
Kevrumbo, nice thread title.:rofl3:

Sorry, that's my fault...I moved this while doing ten other things and had a bit of a brain freeze :wink: Open to suggestions on a better title LOL

Back
Top Bottom