Rescue Diver Course Nov 17-19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Become a Rescue Diver and increase your in water confidence! We will be holding a Rescue Diver course the 3rd weekend of November at Lake Pleasant. The course begins Friday evening and ends Sunday late afternoon, early evening. Minimum requirements for the course are PADI AOW or equivalent and CPR and First Aid certifications. In addition to the PADI requirements, we recommend CPR for the Professional Rescuer level and Administering Emergency Oxygen certifications. Because if your skills are needed, the lay person CPR skills may not be enough! As you can see, the course runs from the 17th through the 19th. We do require you to camp at the training site during the course. We run lots of scenarios, and they are not all announced. This provides for a more realistic training environment. When you're diving, no one is going to announce that an accident is about to happen. So that's how we train you.

We (Rob & Jen) have been working in the healthcare field for several years. We have almost 30 years of combined experience. In addition to that, I (Rob) am a critical care/emergency/trauma nurse. Before that I was an EMT/Firefighter, and before that a police officer/first responder. Jen is a medical assistant and an emergency room associate. Come learn from instructors who experience emergent situations on a regular basis.

Our Rescue Diver course, like our other courses, is also small. We limit it to 6 students. If you're interested, contact me on this thread, through PM, by e-mailing me at southwestscuba@estarnet.net, or calling me at 480-620-4442.

There is preparatory work to be done prior to the course and a homework assignment that is due the weekend before the course begins. So you need to register this week. We recommend you purchase your manual locally, but we can order it and get it to you within 5 business days of receiving the order. There are only a couple of spots left, so contact me today.

We had a great weekend teaching the Rescue Diver course. The weather was perfect (okay, maybe a little too warm), and the visibility was at least 15'! We were all in dry suits, which made the Rescue scenarios a little more challenging, but that's what it's all about. We now have 2 new Rescue Divers in the diving world, both who did an excellent job with their skills and when responding to the scenarios we threw at them (we won't spoil the fun for future students by telling you about the scenarios).

We'll be doing another Rescue Diver course in March or April. Let me know if you're interested and we'll get you signed up.

Dive-aholic:
We now have 2 new Rescue Divers in the diving world

That's us! :D And we had a really good time over the weekend at the lake. The class was set-up and run by Rob and Jenn and they did a great job. We were able to focus on the skills needed to gain confidence as rescue divers, practicing them as much as needed to gain a solid foundation for the future. We also handled some real-world scenarios :wink: which were quite exciting. Doing the class in drysuits was perhaps a little challenging, but realistic. (and it can only be easier in a wetsuit, right?) The weather was great (yep, maybe too warm) and we had a blast. So did our dogs, who got the pleasure of joining us at the lake and "assisting" with some of the rescues! :D

Dive-aholic:
We'll be doing another Rescue Diver course in March or April. Let me know if you're interested and we'll get you signed up.

I would suggest everyone take this class! Some of the skills taught in the class are things I had never even considered before and I won't forget now. Hopefully we'll never have to use the skills we learned in a real life situation, but we both feel comfortable enough now that we could and we'd do a good job if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom