Lost Link Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdown247

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Folks, many of us are moving to computers w/ transmitters. Several have expressed concern for lost link issues. It's a pretty serious issue so I have a couple of tips to help some overcome (not fix) the problem.

1. Location of transmitter is of dire importance. The transmitter MUST be mounted in a near horizontal position or you WILL lose the link so much your head will spin. Some angles will work, but verticle is a hazard to the signal and may cause the user to damage the transmitter (ie: head smash or tank band slippage)

2. Direction of transmitter is relative to link success. Many of us have our transmitters mounted on regulators where the air ports would rotate on a verticle type axis. Some have them on a horizontal rotation set up. Find the hot spot for your particular regulator set up (yes, trial and error) and use it.

3. Position of the computer is relative to link success. If your transmitter is on the left side, you'll want the computer within 3 feet of that transmitter when underwater or you may run the risk of link loss (signal begins to fade between 3-5 ft). This means that if you wear it on your wrist, it needs to be on the same side as the transmitter. The BEST position I've found for the VT3 computer is on the Oceanic retractor clipped just below my right shoulder (along my shoulder strap) w/ transmitter on the left or right - no link losses yet...it's within 3 ft at all times, even when reading the compass mounted on it.

4. Care of both the transmitter and computer WILL effect link success. Follow the specified instructions for post-dive care and maintenance. You should rinse both units with clean fresh water after a dive.

5. Battery life is relative to link success. Regardless of what ANY manufacturer says about their unit, if you change a battery in one part of the unit, change the battery in the other. Attempt to maintain the batteries on identical change-out patterns. This will limit undue battery wear on the computer to search for a link when the transmitter battery goes dead. I've already had this issue personally, call it PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE.

6. By all means, don't be a typical male. Read the instruction manual!

7. Contact Oceanic's tech department if you have serious issues. It might just turn out to be something simple or it could be warranty work.

For those of you using the Atom, it's easy to rig up something for the watch-band to attach to a retractor w/o removing the band. Just a bit of a hassle, but it might resolve part of the issue. Close the watch band as though it's on your wrist, wrap the buckle in waterproof medical tape, attach a small "D" ring or carabiner to a retractor and the watch band. Mount the retractor somewhere comfy for you. Bingo, you're in business!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom