Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mudguppy

Reaction score
Just wanted to make a trip report. If there is a better spot to post "trip reports", kindly let me know.

Went out to Owahu to help a daughter get back to the states. She had filed for divorce, but the military (which her husband had joined) did not want to comand sponsor her to get her and her household goods home. So I went out to help convince them!
After 2 1/2 weeks, we got her on a plane back.

While I was there, I was able to squeeze in 2 shore dives. One at the North shore at Sharks Cove at the Lava tubes. That was awsome, swimming thru the caverns. We saw turtles, octopus, lobster, and many colorful fish.

The second dive I did was after the weather turned a little.
My husband was able to help get me in touch with Chepar from the Scuba Board. We met on a Sunday and did a dive on the west shore at Kahe point.
We went out in 3 and 4 ft waves...kicked out about 1oo yards then went under.
Not alot to see that day, except for a large turtle and a golf ball (go figure!).
I have to say that was the most physically challenging dive I have done. Some current going on.
Chepar is a great diver. I'm very grateful she took me out. That was way out of my environment, but she did a great job of getting me out and back. We kicked butt!!

We braved the 4 ft waves and are able to tell about it!!

More rewarding than the diving experience was getting to know another great person. I appreciate Landlocks support in helping me set that up.

Thank you Chepar!

mudguppy once bubbled...
We went out in 3 and 4 ft waves...kicked out about 1oo yards then went under.
Not alot to see that day, except for a large turtle and a golf ball (go figure!).
I have to say that was the most physically challenging dive I have done. Some current going on.
Chepar is a great diver. I'm very grateful she took me out. That was way out of my environment, but she did a great job of getting me out and back. We kicked butt!!

Conditions were a bit marginal that day. Too bad we didn't see much, but that current just kept pushing us the wrong way. I thought it was a good dive though - did you get that "girl power" vibe when we returned and those 2 freediving spearfisherman said "wow - I guess girls can do it all!" :)

Funniest bit was watching that group of "extreme divers" struggle on the entrance and exit - and then try to play it off in the parking lot like "oh, that was nothing" - but we sure didn't see them gearing up to go back in for a second dive!

Shore diving conditions have remained marginal for the last month or so - the north shore is actually getting in the 12-15 ft range this weekend.

Hope you and your family are doing well and all the best for your daughter and her kids. If you guys are down here anytime in the future, give me a buzz!

Glad to see your still diving with board members. I know, I still owe you some pictures. I had to smile about the current, is it still following you. Good thing you have your underwater navigation down...Sounds like the days of smooth ocean at Sharks Cove are over for the season.

By the way, did the spearfishermen ask "what did you catch"?

Mudguppy, I too was broken in with the "short swim out" to the dive site, I will never again complain about surfacing 100 yards from the boat.

How are you doing? You know, current seems to follow me everywhere. :wink:

Mudguppy and I had initially made plans to dive Firehouse, as she wanted to see if we could spot those sharks we saw. Conditions that weekend on the North Shore were a definite no go, which is why we ended up at Electric Beach. Turns out conditions at Electric Beach were teetering on the go/no go line too.

The spearfishermen didn't ask what we caught - in fact, they had
gone out earlier and gave it up, as conditions were too rough for them to get anything.

Funny you mention navigation - navigating on our way back in, I figured I'd "overshoot" the heading a bit, trying to compensate for the current. Funny how far just a few degrees will take you. At any rate, it wasn't a big deal, we just rode the current down and into the channel to get back to the beach.

Hope you're doing well! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom