Why leave your gauges and octopus dangling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am not sure why alot of people don't secure their alt air source and gauges when diving.

It seems to be a safety issue that you should secure them. I noted some divers getting them caught doing some tube dive throughs, and seeing them bang up the corals.

Is there an advantage to leaving them dangling? It must be more photogenic, as alot of photos I've seen, the divers leave them dangling below them.

Divers with gauges dangling drives me nuts! Have these guys never heard of clips and octo holders? Not only are you more streamlined through the water, but you don't knock the crap out of the coral and you also know where everything is. I remember seeing one guy in the Caribbean with his octo dangling down the side of his tank and floating between his legs – be interesting if his buddy suddenly need his alternate!

Mark

Awwww.. the poor folks just have defective dangly gear, such as the 2nd reg keeper bit that the mouth peice is supposed to fit in. Don't forget the retractable guage keeper with the broken spring.. Its all good, the equipment is just used so much, its failing. Time to go shopping!

'Cuz they're idiots?!?!? :wink:

Actually I'm just kidding. It's not because they're idiots. It's because no one told them about all of the things that you just mentioned. Most people do what they saw their instructors do, and what they see other divers doing. If someone were to (politely) point out the advantages to properly securing things it would probably be helpful. I can see no benefit whatsoever to leaving them dangling.

On the other hand, keeping them properly secured means that you know where they are when you need them, that they aren't going to ensnare you or bang up the coral, that your octo won't be full of sand when you need it most, etc. So by all means, please, please, please invest in boltsnaps, octo keepers, or whatever your restraint method of choice is (personally I like the velvet handcuffs), and get rid of those dangles.

Brian

It's because they have yet to develop a proper degree of situational awareness and self discipline required to be a good and conscientious diver.

the K

I would say that they are either lazy, lazy and don't care, under trained, or all of the above.

I was taught and still do everything I can to keep my gauges and etc clipped and stowed away on my bc. As you stated, the dangling can destory corals and even get caught in a crevise and if the diver isn't trained well, might not stay calm enough to get out of it.

Advantages? None that I could think of. It's very much a disadvantage I believe. More resistance to swim with and with that, cause more air consumption.

Hope this helps.

Michael

sharkattack:

:rofl3:

Well, it would help a lot of these 'danglers'.

It's one thing to state dangly things are bad form, but another to enforce it from the get-go with students to start them out and do it right.

Ummm... becuse they' haven't gotten to 'Rule 3' of diving yet... ie. "Look cool"... ???

Ummm because they haven't run into that consiousness expanding *oops* during a dive yet that will enlighten them to the fact that 'tools at hand' are better than 'tools ya' gotta' look for'???

Ummm... because they JUST got that new octo... or dive computer and want to make sure EVERYBODY gets a look at it... including the coral and bottom mud...

Just a couple of guesses...

J.R.

Personally, I'm not fond of leaving things dangling and flailing around. For one, they could get lost - stuck behind you or some such and create a serious problem. They increase drag and so increase your SAC. They can hit stuff and get stuck.

All this when all you have to do (and what I like to do) is either clip them off or tuck them inside your cummerbund. (the latter being my favourite for the SPG because all you then need to do is look down and theres all your info you need - without even moving your hands)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom