Strange VersaPro behavior..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpsexton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sunday my VersaPro done something strange. I have it set to power up on water contact and I usually don't look at my computer untill I am on my decent. This time as I started my decent I reached for my computer at around 15' or so and it was not on. I pushed the button to power it up and it went into dive log mode and just stayed there. I never could get it out of log mode. Since this was a shallow quarry dive I just continued the dive watching my buddy's computer for depth and time. After the dive on the surface it still stayed in log mode so I gave up and called it a day. Last night I powered it up to check it out and it powered up and everything seemed just fine. The battery icon shows full. Has anyone else had this happen before? Can you not power them up a depth?

Looks like if you try to power up at depth, the depth sensor cannot calibrate itself. If it was started at 10 meters for example then at 15 meters you will actually be, for the unit, at only 5 meters. I believe the unit has a sort of security measure to prevent this from happening.

According to the Versa Pro manual the unit should have activated itself if it was set for water activation. There would be the exception if you were diving at elevations 14,000 feet and above where the unit would powerup then shut down. I am assuming you were diving locally and if that is correct Kentucky's highest elevation is Black Mountain at 4,139 feet so that would rule high altitude out. Another factor would be if the unit were on after a previous dive and left in the water where the contacts would be bridged for over 2 hours. The unit would then display the H2O graphic in the surface mode where the dive number would normally be. If you have your manual the information is on pages 20 and 21. If you don't have your manual then you can go to the following link on the Oceanic website and view it there.

http://www.oceanicww.com/services_manuals.html

I strongly suggest that a manual activation of the computer be performed prior to each dive as a part of your buddy check. Doing the manual activation will ensure that the unit is functioning as well as allow it to check the ambient barometric pressure and calibrate it's present depth at 0.
From the information you supplied it does sound as if it is something that Oceanic may have to see in person. It would, therefore, be a good idea to bring the unit to your local oceanic authorized dive store and have them send it to oceanic for evaluation. If there is no one local then give Oceanic a call and do it direct. Mr. Fix is right that the computer may not have been able to calibrate itself after you passed the 5 foot mark which I believe is the depth at which the computer will activate with the water contacts bridged.
I hope I didn't make that sound too confusing. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom