Interchangeable accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daptonema

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This may be a very stupid question (sorry if it is) but are the various ikelite strobes, lenses etc compatable with different housings? The reason I ask is I have a see and sea mx10 which I loved but its stoped working. I plan on sending it away to get it serviced but like the idea of switching to digital apeals. My problem is I have various lenses and a strobe for my MX10 which I assume are incompatable with any digital system (if someone corrects me I'll be very happy). I want to avoid (as much as possible) buying a new system and then needing to rebuy everything if I change my camera in a few years time.
If anyone has any suggestions/comments then please let me know.

If it is just your MX-10 camera body that is broken, you'll probably save money by buying a used body on e-bay instead of paying for repairs. Its such a simple and durable camera that you can probably buy used with confidence.

There is a certain amount of interchangeability among systems. Ike strobes are good with any Ike housing (using TTL). Ike strobes can be slaved onto any other camera that has a flash to slave from. Inons can be slaved just like the Ikes. Some dSLR housings are TTL compatible with Nikonos or other strobes, depending on the housings brand. Many macro and wide angle wet mount lenses (such as the Inon WAL or Macro) can be wet mounted to a variety of housings, depending on thread size or the use of a compatible bayonet mounting.

These are very broad generalizations. You probably need a more specific starting point to get the answers that you want. Such as what kind of camera you want to use (and thus which housings are compatible) or what kind of strobe you are interested in (and then how can you attach it to a variety of housings).

David

daptonema:
This may be a very stupid question (sorry if it is) but are the various ikelite strobes, lenses etc compatable with different housings? The reason I ask is I have a see and sea mx10 which I loved but its stoped working. I plan on sending it away to get it serviced but like the idea of switching to digital apeals. My problem is I have various lenses and a strobe for my MX10 which I assume are incompatable with any digital system (if someone corrects me I'll be very happy). I want to avoid (as much as possible) buying a new system and then needing to rebuy everything if I change my camera in a few years time.
If anyone has any suggestions/comments then please let me know.

Actually its a smart question... deep six the MX10 and look into a Olympus SP-350 with an Olympus or Ikelite housing. Most if not all Ikelite older strobes can be made to work with the SP-350 via the camera's hotshoe. Don't let them fool you in thinking that digital cameras will only work with digital strobes... the worse you can do is to SAVE money on the strobes that you already have.

f3nikon,

so i have sp350 with ikelite's housing. Can i use ikelite's older strobes or MX10 strobe?

thx

sunkarm:
f3nikon,

so i have sp350 with ikelite's housing. Can i use ikelite's older strobes or MX10 strobe?

thx

Ike's older strobes maybe but the YS-40 (A) was made specifically for the MX-10. It is possible to make it work with some custom fiber adapters or maybe as a slave but I doubt it's worth the effort unless it's a DIY project.

Back
Top Bottom