Concerned about regulator care.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KansaiKitsune

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a very nice Apeks XTX200 regulator. However, being the paranoiac I am, and considering that I'm dealing with a life support system here, I get nervous about how I'm storing my regulators. I keep them indoors in a dry, air conditioned (or heated depending on the season) room. I keep the dust cap on. I rinse with clean water inside and out of the second stage after each dive (with the dust cap on so as to not contaminate the first stage) and never press the purge while doing so.

Yet, I always get concerned that something's going to happen.

So my question is, as they say on the Internet... AM I DOIN' IT RITE?!

I think so. My repair guy says to flush the diaphragm by putting the hose to the mouthpeice and giving it a soft blast.

Rinsing is OK right after a dive but not enough if you are going to store them for a couple days or more. You need to soak te get the salt out of the nooks and cranies. Soaking is best done with the reg under pressure.

sounds good, make sure you pull back the hose protectors until it is completly dry, otherwise trapped water makes the hose ends corrode under the hose protector.

spectrum:
Here's what I do:
http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/scuba_love.html#Regulator

All was well at my first servicing at 170 dives.

Pete

I'm not sure your technique is doing an adequate job of removing the SW that will penetrate the threads of the yoke nut or DIN connector. Depending on the design of that 1st stage there may be other threaded connections that are also subject to SW penetration until it hits a sealing o-ring. Any SW that penetrates around hose connections may also require soaking to remove. The swivel on the SPG is subject to take a good deal of SW penetration stopped ultimately by the 2 small o-ring on the spool that allows the gauge to rotate. Water pressure at depth drives SW well into this device. Only disassembly or extended soaking is going to get it out.

And when you soak it, you should probably heat the water somewhat. Hot water will pull salt into solution more quickly. So, but regs in vat of water with tank, all pressurized. Heat to maybe, say, 100 degrees F? You dive in 80 deg. so maybe 100 wouldn't hurt, right? Shake it a little, let it sit for a minute or two then drop the temperature to 60. Lift the equipment out without disturbing the bottom of the vat, empty vat, rinse vat, repeat. Just keep repeating that until you dive again, you should be fine really. If you get really nervous about it, an hour before you dive dissassembl everything, replace everything plastic or rubber, retune it all and throw it int he gearbag. When you get to the dive site, you'll probably worry you still hven't kept it well enougn and will borrow a buddy's reg for the dive. Go figure.

Kit, relax, regulators are tough. The materials are corrosion resistant and not subject to rot. Abuse would be defined as leaving a brine encrusted regulator in a bag for six months or leaving it in the sun for a week. Don't worry about a bit of green under the hose protector. The brass ends will last longer than the hose. Most problems that I have heard about stem from improper service in the shop. (Think of a surgeon's sponge). If you see any water around the inlet, wipe away with a rag. Otherwise, the brass filter gets green and we don't want that. Keep the dust cap tight. Rinse and hang up to drip dry. Some regulators don't like to be stored with the poppet in tension. If there is a provision for depressing the diaphragm, like a little key or something, use it. Make sure you remove it before hooking up (whoooosh).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom