Taking the PLUNGE - Choosing a Package deal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

itch808

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
After finally deciding I definitely want to continue diving more often, I started looking around for some good package deals. I've researched a bit the individual components and read what people have to say here and at Scubalab. But as a whole, I'm not sure what would make the best value, be dependable, and perform well at its price range. I know everyone here is probably sick to death with these sorts of questions, BUT I've narrowed down my options to only two:

Option A)

Aeris Atmos BCD
Aeris A1 Reg
Mares Brigade Viper Octo
Aeris Analog 3 Gauge w/ Compass
PRICE - $514.95 (from Scubatoys.com)

Option B)

Cressi-Sub Aqualight R BCD
Oceanic Alpha 8 PX3
Sea Elite Quest XR3 Octopus
Sea Elite 3 Gauge Console w/ Compass
Price - $529.95 (Custom Package from Divers-supply.com)

Some background, I'm still a beginner with only about 20 dives. I mainly dive in warm water 70-80F, Hawaii baby! I opted against a computer because I figure I can always get one down the line if I really get into it (I also didn't think it was the extra $120 for an Oceanic Veo 100 on Option B). My price range for everything is around $500 since I also have to pay for shipping to Hawaii unfortunately. I really would like a compass since I will be doing mostly unguided shore dives. Any thoughts, criticisms, suggestions? :D

Both good packages, I'm sure if you called the 800 # an upgrade to a VEO 100 option for $120 is available on package B...

I would lean to package B because of the balanced first stage on the PX3. Living in Hawaii I would also ask for a switch to a Oceanic Alpha 8 octo, it shouldn't cost much but will make servicing easier there.

itch808:
Option B)

Cressi-Sub Aqualight R BCD
Oceanic Alpha 8 PX3
Sea Elite Quest XR3 Octopus
Sea Elite 3 Gauge Console w/ Compass
Price - $529.95 (Custom Package from Divers-supply.com)

Any thoughts, criticisms, suggestions? :D

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Sea Elite choice above, but since you live in Hawaii, it'll be difficult to find parts for that Octo there for yearly rebuilds. Sea Elite is the house brand of Divers Supply and you can only get parts from them. I might suggest a brand that you can get parts on the island you live on.

(Often parts from other manufacturers fit as many of their products are made in the same OEM shop as the other brands though). If you do choose to purchase the above Sea Elite, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and purchase a rebuild kit for it to keep in your save-a-dive kit. Just an idea.

And remember, if still looking at package 1, you can call up Joe and save yourself another 10% as a ScubaBoard member, which you can either pocket, or use toward upgrading to a computer in the console.

Larry..

I second the matching of reg and octo to make servicing easier.

I would not wait on the computer but your budget is your budget. You should know how to dive without one but computers are a safety device. Until you get one, be extra conservative on your NDL and ascent rate.

Don't put much money into the BC, you'll likely want another one before long. It's the kind of item where you just have to dive awhile to know what you really want.

Pulling heavily from ScubaToys closeouts, you can get a package WITH a computer that is pretty well matched:

Aeris Atmos Sport BCD ($100)
Mares R2 Reg ($135)
Mares Rebel Octo ($75)
Aeris Atmos 1 Console w/ computer ($180)
PRICE - $480

edited: I had the reg price too high, it's true that it's an unbalanced reg but if you aren't going deeper than 100' for awhile it'll be just fine, plus a simpler design.

get a balanced reg, don't just click and buy from either, call and negotiate, starting with the Scubaboard discount.

How do you identify a balanced reg from an unbalanced reg? Is it more important to have a balanced 1rst stage, 2nd stage, or both? I'm not sure if any of the regs I listed are balanced, well none of them say it. If it matters, most of my dives up to this point have been to around 90-100', but I don't see myself ever testing the recreational limit. So I do go a little deep on occassion.

The only computer I used was an Oceanic Veo 100 during this past week's vacation on a shore dive that maxed out @ 40' which was a bit pointless for that sort of dive I guess...lol. That Aeris Atmos 1 console looks nice, except it says it's out of stock :11:

Thanks to everyone for helping me out so far, I didn't know about there was a Scubatoys discount (this sort of sways things a bit in their favor).

P.S. I would call except being so new to this all, I'm worried everything they will tell me will go right over my head. I don't want to be sold something that I won't need. Except in my case, on the phone, I wouldn't even know it right now!

itch808:
How do you identify a balanced reg from an unbalanced reg? Is it more important to have a balanced 1rst stage, 2nd stage, or both?

You identify one by researching the make/model. Typicall, the lower end models will be unbalanced because they are a simpler design. They are reliable, rugged, and cheap to maintain which is why they are often found in rental gear. It refers to the first stage.

Here is a basic explanation from ScubaToys. As you see, you likely won't notice any increased resistance until below 500psi, if you're that low at 100' you've got more serious issues.

As for the Atmos 1 console, check their specials. They have a Aeris XR1 Dive Computer Console for $200, only $20 more. I would add $35 and get the compass. Or they have the Dacor Darwin Console for $200 and it's Nitrox capable. On second thought, I'd recommend this one over the previous ones. I know several people who have these and really like them, they take AA batteries so easy to change out, and allow continuous backlighting for night dives. And you *will* want to move to Nitrox, even if you don't know it yet. Especially if your dives are typically in the 90' to 100' range. That's an ideal Nitrox depth. Again, give the extra $50 for the compass.

itch808:
How do you identify a balanced reg from an unbalanced reg? Is it more important to have a balanced 1rst stage, 2nd stage, or both? I'm not sure if any of the regs I listed are balanced, well none of them say it. If it matters, most of my dives up to this point have been to around 90-100', but I don't see myself ever testing the recreational limit. So I do go a little deep on occassion.

The only computer I used was an Oceanic Veo 100 during this past week's vacation on a shore dive that maxed out @ 40' which was a bit pointless for that sort of dive I guess...lol. That Aeris Atmos 1 console looks nice, except it says it's out of stock :11:

Thanks to everyone for helping me out so far, I didn't know about there was a Scubatoys discount (this sort of sways things a bit in their favor).

P.S. I would call except being so new to this all, I'm worried everything they will tell me will go right over my head. I don't want to be sold something that I won't need. Except in my case, on the phone, I wouldn't even know it right now!

I will guarantee you that if you call and explain it exactly like you did here that they will not take advantage of you or go over your head.

They KNOW you will post what you got and for how much on here where there are folks you will then chime in....

Balanced 1st is more important than balanced second.

Cerich is 100% correct! I called ScubaToys to inquire about putting together a reg/computer package for me after I got certified, and Larry was a peach. He walked me through everything, explained what I didn't know, made recommendations (and explained them), and ultimately we put together a package that I'm pleased to dive with 3 years later. The price was also better than I could get anywhere! :wink: Give them a call, you won't regret it.

Back
Top Bottom