Pregnant and Dolphins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwhities

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know this is a ladies forum, but my wife and I are pregnant. (First time!) We are going on a cruise Nov 26th through Dec 3rd and one of the stops we are wanting to swim with the dolphins. My wife, Lesa, is wondering if the Dolphins might "smell" or "tell" that she is pregnant and if they might cause any harm to her or the baby inside. I personally don't think so, but she wanted me to ask here on SB. (I brag about all the things I learn on here.)

So if any of you ladies have any advice, suggestoins, or just comments, please post or PM me.

Thanks,

Michael and Lesa

I just want to say CONGRATULATIONS to both of you. And you thought diving was an adventure. :)

From all I know she should be fine on the surface but I'm not qualified to say that out loud.

Pete

Thank you very much. Yeah and I also thought diving was expensive. Now I have tWO hobbies. :wink:

I don't think (and hope) there won't be a problem. She won't be far along and I will ask the people at the site too. I just wanted to ask here. I know fellow SBers will help out. :)

Thanks,

Michael

I believe there is anecdotal evidence that dolphins can *sense* pregnant women. And if they do have that ability (likely sonar), I think I remember hearing that the dolphins actually behave much nicer.

Wasn't there a minor fad 10-15 years ago where late-term pregnant women would hang out in dolphin pens for some sort of therapeutic result? Maybe that was just swimming pools...

Your wife should be fine, Michael.

Thanks archman,

I'm sure this will put her at ease a little more. Never heard of that fade, but I'll be looking around the 'net a little more as well.

Thank you kindly again.

Michael

I was at Dolphins Plus in Key Largo this summer and they talked about pregnant women and dolphins. The guide said that they don't let pregnant women swim with the dolphins for liability reasons, but every once in a while, one will get in and the dolphins can tell right away. The guide said that they can hear the second heart beat and are curious about it (probably because they don't let pregnant women in?).

mwhities:
I know this is a ladies forum, but my wife and I are pregnant. (First time!) We are going on a cruise Nov 26th through Dec 3rd and one of the stops we are wanting to swim with the dolphins. My wife, Lesa, is wondering if the Dolphins might "smell" or "tell" that she is pregnant and if they might cause any harm to her or the baby inside. I personally don't think so, but she wanted me to ask here on SB. (I brag about all the things I learn on here.)

So if any of you ladies have any advice, suggestoins, or just comments, please post or PM me.

Thanks,

Michael and Lesa

First Congradulations!

I've read (somewhere) that pregnant woman should not swim with dolphins, because they can sense the pregnancy, and they may pod around her, steer her away from others, and not allow others to approach. I have no idea if there is any basis for this, it's something I read, and I can not even remember where, so can not comment on the credibility.

I seriously doubt they will let her dive/swim dolphins if she is pregnant, but that is yet another thing I have no certain knowledge of. In any event, be safe. :D

Here is a rather um... interesting website to check out.
http://www.planetpuna.com/Birth&Dolphins/index.htm

Dang, a quick internet search has almost every dolphin encounter on the planet barring pregnant women. I have yet to find an actual case study to explain it. There must be a lawsuit... somewhere.

The daughter of a woman at work went swimming with dolphins a few years ago and didn't know she was pregnant at the time. My co-worker said the dolphins would not leave her daughter alone, they were all around her looking at her belly and "chattering". Her daughter finally got out just to get away from them.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom