Finally jumped into the photo craze!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mandy3206

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For the last year or so, I've been looking for a digital camera with housing that wouldn't break my wallet and one that can be used on land too.
I was looking for the smallest pakg with the most megapix available.
I was looking at Canon and Sony for my favorites choices, my ex girlfriend has a 4megapix Canon S40 with Canon Housing, but I noticed that Sony Housings can go a bit deeper.
I came across a New Sony 7.2 megapix DSC-T10 and MPK-THC Housing that seems at a good price so I went ahead and bought the combo, at the store I found out that I needed some Memory Stick duo media, so I added 2 with 1giga each and a very nice leather case for land use. I'm thinking on getting the VF-MPTH2 color filter and a spare battery this week. That should do it for now and when the wallet recovers, I may get the HVL-ML20M light and the VCT-MP1K arm kit needed for the light, but that may be next summer after I got some practice with the camera and housing.

Here are the questions:

Do this camera is ok for uw photogaphy?
Is the Color filter worth the $100 investment?
Should I get the light right away or wait until I hone my skills?

I now carry the credit card size camera everywhere and take as much pics as posible to get use to the controls, but so many setting are very overwhelming since I'm not a photo wizard.

What settings should I work first so I can start in the right track and work myself with the more complicated settings later when the basics are mastered?
Is there a reference that I can use to start to understand the many diferent terms used in photography?

Any help would be greatly apreciated Thanks
Mandy

Today I checked on the HVL-ML20M Light and found that it's a constant on light, it's intended for video, since it's not a strobe, I wonder if this would work with the still camera or if I would need a strobe.

If the strobe is needed, any recomendations would be appreciated
Thanks
Mandy

Hey, you ought to catch up with that baggage handler at San Juan airport who keeps ripping off all that underwater camera equipment from people's checked camera gear. Might be really affordable.

Anyway, sounds like you're getting a nice camera rig. I would prefer a strobe, but a constant on light will work. It will not offer as much intense light as a strobe, but it will be handy for focusing.

Mandy -

Check out the pink link in my signature - it will go a long ways in answering many of your questions.

I'm not sure that this is going to be a great camera for underwater because I don't see that it has manual controls for your shutter and aperture. If I'm wrong, that's great as these are essential. If I'm right, you've got a cute little unit for topside stuff and for grabbing memories on your dives.

A strobe is better than constant light for still photography. Constant light a) no control on the output b) can create hot spots c) generally has too narrow of a beam to properly light a scene.

Mandy, here's the info on that camera (I've used Sony's for 6 years now). Skip the filter, it will only work under ideal conditions and hurt everywhere else. Get used to the camera before the strobe. Here are the rules.

Rule 1. Get close, then closer. For that camera with internal flash this is 4" to 12". If outside that refer to rule 3.

Rule 2. Flash forced On, Macro mode On. Why refer to rule 1.

Rule 3. If you have to break rule 1 (You will be disappointed), turn off the flash, macro mode Off and pray.

Practice toggling those controls till you can do it without looking. The P10 will fog if you leave it on to long in the housing and does noy have great battery life. So also learn to turn it on before the shot, then off afterwards.

The other thing is those Sonys will shift the colors towards green, underwater. So be prepared to learn Photoshop to bring the colors back.

The other settings that worked pretty well for me, 400 ASA, -2.0ev, and flash to med.

Here's a link to some shots with a similar camera.

http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/116771/236437.html?1129059781

Dont get disapponted on your first shots U/W, their not gonna come out as you think till you get better. Practice alot topside help you get to know your cameras functions alot better. Read, practice, shoot, compare..rinse and repeat. If you have RAW mode try that and see what you need to get a good shoot in to be able to edit later.

I'm a newbie with the camera and after a month with it I'm only now starting to get to know some of the things on how to use it. Later on will get a strobe as I've read it helps immensely.

GL

A strobe is definately a very worthwhile investment. I've used a Sony DSC-P10 underwater, and to be honest with you I hardly very seldomly took it out, because it was a pain to use, and the results were generally very poor, and rarely worth keeping.

I forked out for a housing for my DSLR, as well as an Inon Z-240 strobe. The strobe arrived a couple of weeks before the housing, so I did take it out a couple of times with my Sony, and the results were uncomparably better.

Here's one that I took with my Sony in the Maldives, in crystal clear water. It's been touched up a lot in photoshop.
normal_DSC01326_edited.JPG

And here's the original straight from the camera:
DSC01326.JPG

And here's another one from the Sony, with the Inon-Z240 in Auto mode, straight from the camera without any touching up. It was also taken in temperate waters here in Melbourne, Australia in water with around 20 foot visibility.
normal_DSC03036.JPG

You have said that you already have the camera and housing, so although it is far from the best camera to take underwater, it will still do the job to capture any memories for you. If you add a strobe, unless you're really love photography (as opposed to just taking pictures), the Sony will most probably be all you will ever need.

Alcina, that camera is totally automatic and small and you will have terrible problems with motion blur. I would rather have more noise and a faster shutter speed.

Mark, I don't know what to tell you but it's not the camera. A similar picture.

237080.jpg

No back scatter was edited out.

The problem with your shot was that you were to far away. Rule #1.

I also use a Sony (DCSS60). It's a camera I already had and decided to use it to try taking pictures underwater.
After some experience with it I do not think it is ideal for underwater photos but, I think it is good enough to capture you memories underwater and in my case, figure out I'm more interested in underwater photography than just capturing memories.
With some practice you should be able to capture some reasonable good photos even with just the internal flash.
Have a look at my dive pictures. They were taken with the sony with just internal flash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom