Sunday diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdshort

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I don't know if anyone from Ketchikan aside from Poogweese and I read these boards, but we'll be diving at Mountain Point on Sunday. Meet at the tower pulloff at 11AM, so we have time to be in the water around the tide change to hopefully avoid too much current.

Hope to see the wolf eel down by the boulder pile!

Brian

bdshort:
I don't know if anyone from Ketchikan aside from Poogweese and I read these boards, but we'll be diving at Mountain Point on Sunday. Meet at the tower pulloff at 11AM, so we have time to be in the water around the tide change to hopefully avoid too much current.

Brian

Looking forward to it:D Anyone else from Ketch on the board?

Poog:coffee:

I bid on another scooter, but the reserve is higher than my absolute max bid... oh well :(

Hey Poogweese which boat is that on your Avatar? Is it a SE wreck?

sea2summit:
Hey Poogweese which boat is that on your Avatar? Is it a SE wreck?

Correct you are!

Alaska Steamship Mariposa, passenger steamer. Wrecked 11/18/1917 Struck reef while carrying 269 passengers and a full cargo of copper ore and canned salmon. Vessel had previously picked up the crew from the wrecked Al-Ki and the pirates (Yes-Pirates!) from the wrecked Manhattan. All passengers and crew were rescued before vessel sank. Reef now called Mariposa Reef. She went down with 25,000 cases of salmon and 1,200 tons of copper ore. Passengers and crew rescued by the Curacao, the Ravalli, and the Jefferson. Reef on Strait Island, near Pt. Baker (Mariposa Reef)

This info is from:
http://www.mms.gov/alaska/ref/ships/

Although a Point Baker salvor blew it up in the 50's, it's still a great wreck. Still lots to see including hull plates, engine, portholes, etc. Timing at this site is critical as the water just screams through there on the tide changes:D I have seen everything from rockfish to halibut to sea lions on this wreck-it's like diving in the Seattle Aquarium.

bdshort:

Brian
Hope you guys had a good dive. I hit Sunset about 14:00 and had my first Stellar Sealion visit for this fall season. I always enjoy watching them and have had them close enough to touch but I'm never at ease with them.

R-T:
Hope you guys had a good dive. I hit Sunset about 14:00 and had my first Stellar Sealion visit for this fall season. I always enjoy watching them and have had them close enough to touch but I'm never at ease with them.

Hi Rick, congrats on the Stellar visit:D Four of us did dive 1 and only one of us saw our Stellar visit:(
Brian and I did dive 2 hoping a squad of Stellars would appear that were in the area-they were no shows! However, we had a FUN drift dive along Mt. Point.
Maybe Brian will post some pics? :)

As a matter of fact, I will :)

Dive 2 for me was great. I liked dive 1 too but had some air in my legs that I had problems getting out, so I was having issues during my safety stop. There was some wicked surface current too. We had to pull ourselves along the bottom to the sand chute. Once we got down the current wasn't bad at all. Dive 2 we went out at about 60-70 feet way down the wall (further than I've been before), then drifted back at about 30-40 feet. Killer!

I really hope I see a sea lion or some other marine mammal soon or I may just quit diving!! :wink: (Only kidding!)

Here's the pics (what is the orange feather thing called?)

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

Your pics are just getting better and better:popcorn:
I think that "feather thing" is a Fleshy Sea Pen (Ptilosarcus gurneyi). If we ever do a night dive together there, we'll turn off the lights and shake one (they give off a luminescence).

You guys must have better vis down there than we do, seems like every dive below 40' is a night dive:) Thanks for the info on that wreck, very cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom