Monterey Pics 11-4-06 Shale Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Here are a few from today's dive. Water was a balmy 59 degrees and we were greeted by Mola Mola's who followed us around while they recieved the spa treatment from a school of Senoritas.

Mola Mola cleaning station

PB040081-01sm.jpg

PB040073-01sm.jpg

Spotted White nudie

PB040075-01sm.jpg

Spanish Shawl

PB040068-02sm.jpg

Wow, great shots. I've never seen sunfish and these nudibranchs in >25 dives in Monterrey Bay area. Thanks for sharing.
Dive safely.

parabolic:
Nice shots Larry!! How long are the molas around??

They turn up periodiacally. I hadn't seen any until mid summer this year. They seem to hang out mostly over the shale near Del Monte Beach. I've seen a couple in the Breakwater area, damaged and dying or dead. Apparently, the seals eat their fins (can't eat the rest because they're poisonous-related to the blowfish, I've heard) If they lose a fin, they're helpless and flounder on the bottom while the crabs pick at them.

When we visited the Aquarium during our recent visit to Monterey, everybody was oohing and aahing over the baby great white, but I was utterly fascinated with the sunfish. I had never seen anything quite like it, and it would have been an enormous thrill to have seen one in the water while diving. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Cool pics. Thanks for sharing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom