22 inch backup hose too short?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

filtered

Registered
Reaction score
I'm using Apeks DS4's on my doubles and find that with the 22 inch backup hose, the 2nd stage just reaches slightly to the right side under my chin, when worn on a bungee necklace. Got my hoses kit from Halcyon which by default comes with the 22 inch backup hose. Was thinking that a 24 inch might route better. With the 22 inch, I cant turn my head to the left when breathing the backup.

Also does anyone use hose protectors on their doubles? I know GUE states that strain reliefs should be used but when I use them, I find that it's quite difficult to route the hoses properly with the DS4. Also i had a friend whose HP hose burst due to the strain the Scubapro hose protector put on it. I also noticed on the WKPP website that GI doesnt use hose protectors on his TX100's.

Hose protectors are more of a "if you like 'em, use 'em" type deal. Personally I have them on my setup. Some of the people I dive with don't. Then other that I dive with cut them in half.

If you have your hoses routed right, the 22" hose should be just fine. However, I can understand how it could be too short for some people. If you need it to be 24", then make it 24". I don't think anyone would have a big problem with it. IMO, it is not that big of a deal, as long as you keep it short enough where it does not flail to the side.

Much safer to have a hose that is the right length based on where it places your backup reg than based on what a website says is the default size. I switched mine out for one that was a little longer because I had the same problem.

The 22 inch hose length came from using ScubaPro regs that have a LP port on the bottom. The hose would route straight out from the 1st stage and around. Trying to use a 22 inch hose for a DS4 means it goes down and then at a right angle then around to the 2nd stage.

I use 24 inch hoses for my backups because of this. It makes all the difference.

There are some cheap hose protectors out there with thin walls that work better than the heavy gauge ones.

omar

My long hose routes out the bottom (SP reg) and the backup comes off one of the lateral ports.

It is "just right".

I tried a 24, but it was too long and quite uncomfortable - it tended to push the backup out of my mouth to the side when I used it. The 22" is "just right".

YMMV - much depends on your specific reg and where the ports are in relationship to you. (Mine is a single rig, SP MK25 first.)

much depends on your specific reg and where the ports are in relationship to you.
Like Tom said, I have Apeks DS4s and the 22" was too short...24" is perfect.

hose length has been covered.

hose protectors - I think it is important to have the ability to constantly monitor the condition of your hoses [out of the water] with the very slightest appearance of not brand new, replace them.

hoses are cheap

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom