Wide angle lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunkarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
what is the widest u/w wide angle lens available nowadays?

thx in advance.

The widest I've ever used was a Nikkor 10mm Ortho Fisheye. Ths was on an F3 in an Aquatica A3 housing.

I recall wishing I could use the 8mm, but the dome throat was too small.

The wideness was spectacular, the dome port added some extra distortion since it wasn't a true hemisphere, and I got about 200 degrees of coverage. I remember I could see my knuckles on the housing handles!

From a photographic perspective, I wasn't too impressed, though, the circular image was quite a disadvantage. After I was done cropping and whatnot, it had the coverage of a 16mm with about 1/4 of the negative, so, more grain and less sharpness.

All the best, James

sunkarm:
what is the widest u/w wide angle lens available nowadays?

thx in advance.

If you are referring to one that can be used on point-and-shoot digital cameras the basic wide angle lens is about 100 degrees and with the dome port added to it it's about 130 degrees.

yes, giligan i am referring to point n shoot. i have ike's housing that can use any wide angle lens that has 67mm thread. so what would b the widest u/w WA lens for this kind of camera...?

thx

THIS dome port (from Reef Photo) added to the wet mount lens (Made by Inon) is probably the widest lens that you can adapt to a camera with a wet mount. You'd have to ask Ryan @ Reef if it will fit your housing.

Basically, the INON lenses can provide 100 - 130 degrees of coverage. Call or E-Mail ryan@reefphoto.com for info even if you don't buy - he'll tell you the straight story on the lens. :wink:

how si Inon's WA compare to Epoque DCL20 in which i already have. How do u read the measurement of the capability of the lens?thx

sunkarm:
how si Inon's WA compare to Epoque DCL20 in which i already have. How do u read the measurement of the capability of the lens?thx
By field of Coverage in degrees, or you can use the * N multiplier of the lens.

For Example, the DCL20 has a .67 multiplier so if your lens is a 28mm lens, that gives it an effective coverage of an ~ 18 mm lens. Or .67 (almost 50% MORE) coverage (actually it's 43% more :wink:)

I can't find the multiplier for the INON, but I'm sure it's published somewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom