AZ Republic Artice: Texas Dive Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Don't know if anyone noticed the blurb on the front of the "Travel & Explore" section of the AZ Republic today, but next Sunday there will be an article on Balmorhea State Park, Toyahvale, Texas' Scuba Park. So if you drive East through west Texas :shakehead on I-10, you may want to check out the article. I maped it it's 617mi from Phoenix, 200mi. east of El Paso. Maybe a good place to stop and get wet on your way to wherever... I'll never go, I don't drive east of Central if I can help it :wink:

Garrett

I've driven by there several times, but never made the turn off of I-10. Just haven't had the time. I read in another thread here a couple of days ago that the water temp is a constant 72 degrees. I may have to stop there on my way to Florida in January. :wink:

It is a "20" foot deep:huh: , 2+ acre "lake" spring fed at 72-74 degrees year round. Cnn.com did an article on it on the weekend my spousal unit ( about oct 7)was getting certified and they took her picture to illustrate the lake and its diving...you may still be able to get it on a search of cnn.com. the Lake is good for checking out equipment or getting your OW certification, but after 20-30 minutes you've seen everything there is to see. It is concreted all the way around has hot showers and flushing toilets, the Truck stop has a good breakfast:coffee: cheep, and the Oso Flojo inn is the best place in town at about A$75 a nite...you can take a side trip to fort Davis and see an old Cavalry fort just down the road...but if you are driving and just can't stand not being wet, its the only place to go for 200 miles from El Paso...unless you count the Blue hole in NM, but thats for another post:shakehead ....

Tetras and cat fish and several turtles along with the occasional Duck are all you will see there. If the OW classes are there ( as they are evry weekend), the water gets plenty stirred up and cloudy by about 11-30 in the morning. The park is very clean and well kept, no garbage anywhere( and keep it that way please)

I think I would rather drive to San Carlos!!! 20ft....Ok...if there was a lot to see might be worth it!!! But I am not driving that far.....If I go to Florida I'm flying!!! :lol:

What do you mean it is concreted all the way around? And where and how big is the spring head?

I drive to Florida because they won't let me check my doubles on the plane. :D

a million gallons an hour of spring water, 24/7 at the bottom of the pool....but the STATE cannot do anything to improve the pool cause there is the endangered Pup fish living there and the FEDS :no will not allow the STATE to disturb them by dredging the bottom.... so think SWIMMING POOL with Sand and Rock Floor and you'll have a good picture of what is there...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom