When to use external flash?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underachiever

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a sealife-reefmaster camera. Have taken maybe 1000 pics and proud of some of them. I have yet to try my 8X and 16X macro lens. We are headed to the Keys in a couple of weeks and hope to experiment with the camera. With all lenses. One question. Is there a rule of thumb as to when the external flash is needed and when the regular flash should be used. I have many pics that are washed out and have recently got a difuser but and will be trying it out as well.

Thanks

Unless I have missed something, I do not think I have any control of the strobe. Its all or nothing. I have the reefmaster land and sea 3.3 mp. (DC300)

You can control it's distance and it's angle. It's awkward, but it can be done :wink: I don't think it has any power settings.

Otherwise, trial and error until you can "get your eye in" for which works better at each distance.

Using the external flash is best. Can you block the internal flash from being in the photo?

Since you only have one power setting on the external flash using camera manual settings (if you have them) for your F stops and shutter speeds should compensate.

Part if not all of the cameras flash is blocked and reflected toward the strobe. That is what makes the strobe fire. No settings that can be adjusted.

I was one of those that got a low price for the beginner under water camera. But I still think it was a decent deal. Got the camera, housing, strobe, 512 chip, batteries and charger and case for $200. Have since got the 8x and 16x macro and a diffuser. Our next trip will be dedicated to both of us taking lots of pics.

Back
Top Bottom