Data Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
For those of you who tire of dragging around camera gear and a laptop, the Wolverine MVP is one of a growing list of compact data storage units on which to store your digital photos and videos.

Here is a review of the Wolverine MV from PC magazine.

At the bottom of the above review is a link to the full review:
Read the Wolverine MVP full review here

I recently purchased the Wolverine myself. It was easy to connect the Wolverine to my PC and download music, videos and photos from my PC to the Wolverine (and vice versa). Easy as click and drag.

Right away I noticed that the Wovlerine seems to support only MPEGs and not other video files. Good thing, because the videos from my Sea & Sea DX8000 are in MPEG format.

The file format seems clunky, but maybe I'm just not used to it yet. But it accepts 7 different kinds of data cards.

You can review photos and video on the 2.5-inch color screen. Not much of improvement over reviewing the photos on my camera's screen. (But I guess I can download movies to the MVP and watch them on the airline flight.)

I will add more to this thread as I play with this thing. However, the PC Magazine review will probably give you more information than I ever will.

Anyone else have experience with this thing?

Better alternatives are suggested such as:

Archos AV 500 (Better for videographers)

Epson P-4000 (Better for photographers)

I have a hard disk as a portable storage. Not just a hard disk ofcourse but xs-drive (vp3320). It takes any hd (pretty much) you want inside and has a mp3-player and a radio aswell. You can't check the photos on my version anyway. But the good thing is that it reads any kind of storage card and you can directly connect your memory card to it and as it's basically just a hdd with a program that uploads files it supports every fileformat from raw to avi. I don't think there's too much point in buying one of those media storages that you can watch your photos or a video on a tiny monitor/screen. You gonna edit them on a computer when you get home anyway. For my money those aren't just worth it.
But that's just my 5 cents :)

Check out the recently released Jobo GigaVU Pro Evolution:
http://www.jobo.com/jobo_digital/giga_vu_pro_evolution/gb/
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-7892-8176
http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service/digital/files/giga_vu_pro_e/whitepaper.pdf
RAW support can only be better than the very extensive RAW support of the earlier GigaVU Pro:
http://www.jobo.com/usa/jobodigital/support/gvp_raw_compatibility_May_05.pdf
I recently got one and love it.

One of the best value, and certainly one of the two fastest on the market is the CompactDrive PD70X (Also known as the HyperDrive HD80 in the U.S). The other fast one is the Nexto-CF. The PD70X takes most memory cards, whereas the Nexto only CF.
Neither have LCD displays, but that keeps the cost down. Both very reliable, and although they've been on the market quite a while now, have still not been bettered for transfer speed and value for money.

kapula:
I have a hard disk as a portable storage. Not just a hard disk ofcourse but xs-drive (vp3320). It takes any hd (pretty much) you want inside and has a mp3-player and a radio aswell. You can't check the photos on my version anyway. But the good thing is that it reads any kind of storage card and you can directly connect your memory card to it and as it's basically just a hdd with a program that uploads files it supports every fileformat from raw to avi. I don't think there's too much point in buying one of those media storages that you can watch your photos or a video on a tiny monitor/screen. You gonna edit them on a computer when you get home anyway. For my money those aren't just worth it.
But that's just my 5 cents :)

I'll second your post. I have an older X's drive which I use to back up all my trip photos on. I also take my laptop so as to edit and delete photos on a daily basis. I don't want to deal with sorting through thousands of pics when I return.

I love my Epson P-2000 (ancestor of the mentioned P-4000) for lots of reasons other than backup storage.

Photo Storage - I do use it for storing my photos from my memory cards, although I usually bring my notebook computer on most trips. The Epson does allow me to travel light(er) for trips when I don't want to bring my computer

Digital Photo Album - This is probably my number one use. There's nothing like popping a memory card into the Epson and passing it around like a stack of printed photos. I usually do make a quick delete of the obvious junk (in a working "album", not the actual backup directory). The screen is spectacular. I also keep lots of past photos on the Epson. On any given day, I can show off photos from this years dive trips, or last year's outing, all the way back to my honeymoon six years ago.

Movie Player - This is probably the one that impresses people the most. I easily rip movie DVDs to .dvx files and play them on the airplane when I travel. Forget in-flight entertainment. I've always got 10-20 movies on my Epson.

Slideshow Player - This is a variation of playing movies. When I make a Proshow Gold slideshow DVD, I rip it to a .dvx file and I can share it (with music) on the Epson.

Music Player - The P-2000 will play MP3s, but the interface is pretty bad so I use my iPod. The newer P-3000/P-5000 seem to have a better .mp3 interface, but I haven't seen it yet.

As you can guess, I'm a big fan of this little device. Its one of my favorite toys.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom