something wrong with BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swordfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. Just bought a new BC. I noticed that when I inflate it, it loses some air and becomes limp after a few hours.
Is this normal? Does the air inside a BC really escape and that it's not supposed to be leak-free?
I was thinking if I should return it to the shop I bought it from for inspection. The BC is just three months old and I have used it only once.
Thanks.

Regards,
Swordfish

I doesn't hurt to either ask your shop to check it or do so yourself.

Loosing pressure over a matter of hours is no big deal. Your dive will be minutes to just over an hour so your boyancy won't particularly change during the dive.

It's likely, if you've already had it in the water, that there's a bit of sand or seaweed in the deflators. Check it by having a buddy look for a leak while you dive or by trying to hold it underwater yourself & looking. IF there is a bit of something there - a simple rinse should fix it.

Dive safe!

Larry is right but I'm a LDS owner and highly recommend you take it back. It should hold air for days without leaking. I test mine overnight that I service. There should be no leaks without exception. That slow of a leak won't affect your dive but better to get it checked out while under warranty.

inflate the bc partially and immerse in a tub or drum of water to see where the bubble are coming from. check the inflator hose connection to the bladder and the dump valve covers. you may have to threadt them properly.

kitbuga
philippines

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom