http://www.diveheart.org/

Protect California Abalone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Predator

New
Reaction score
Commercial Abalone divers are trying to get back in business, after decimating the Abalone population in Southern California. They want to start harvesting the only viable and very small population of Abs in Southern California at San Miguel Island and then the Farallones. The last time they had a legal landing port, the were busy poaching the North Coast. Unfortunately they have gotten support at the Fish and Game Commission. We have to turn this around. Please fill out this petition and sent it to everyone you know. It only takes a few seconds.

Milo Vukovich
Recreational Fishing Alliance
http://actionstudio .org/?go= 2511 or

http://www.fishpolitics.com

and here's a link to print a hand written and mail version to have in your shop

Abalone_Petition.pdf

I have already indicated my support on this issue and feel it is a worthy one. I have discussed it with a former commercial abalone fisher and conservationist who feels this harvest can be sustainable. Although I greatly respect his knowledge, I think it may be critical to leave the San Miguel population alone since it represents a refugium from which red abalone may recolonize the Channel Islands and southern CA.

While it is true that commercial (and recreational!) take of abalone reduced their population densities significantly, it was withering syndrome disease that really did them in. Abalone densities were probably unusually high since their primary predator, the sea otter, had been wiped out in SoCal by the 1830's or so.

I think it best to err on the side of caution in this case and NOT reopen this fishery at this time.

Signed the petition. Dr. Bill if there's anything else we can do let me know.
Thanks
Joe B

sounds like a no-brainer to me

Dear Divers,

This is a notice to take action on behalf of ABALONE and it originated from Milo Vukovich of Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA) and Steve Benavides, an Orange County diver and photographer who has been active in abalone politics for many years. Steve is a member of the Recreational Abalone Advisory Group (RAAC). The following words are essentially theirs although I have edited and stripped out much to make it shorter for you. I can forward to you their original emails by request.

Please sign the petition and also consider attending the meeting on November 18th.

Thank you,

Debbie Karimoto

Commercial abalone divers are trying to get back in business after decimating the abalone population in southern California. They want to start harvesting the only viable and very small population of abs in southern California at San Miguel Island and then the Farallones. :shakehead Unfortunately they have gotten support at the Fish and Game Commission. We must turn this around. Please fill out this petition and send it to everyone you know. It is easy and only takes a few minutes.

The Abalone Petition

We need every diver to sign the petition at the link and get involved in the political fight raging over the waters we enjoy.

We need other dedicated, passionate people to step up and learn how to be effective in defending and protecting our coasts. If you are interested in getting involved or finding out how you can help please contact me at the email below. There will be a meeting for interested parties on:

Saturday, November 18, 2006
10 am

Suite F Associates,
1910 E Warner Ave, Suite 2-F
Santa Ana, CA 92705

It is about a mile from John Wayne Airport and you must RSVP to:

Stephen G. Benavides
steve @ sgbcpa.com
949-474-7427

Thanks for posting Steve's message, Debbie. I had already deleted it after taking action.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom